Dealate ID request, I believe she is semi-caulostrial

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

JaydenScheepers

Re: Dealate ID request, I believe she is semi-caulostrial

Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:34 pm

I see them everywhere in my area, usually foraging alone, but sometimes you'd see two of them or on rare occasions three. Eventually caught a queen although I didn't catch her in my area.
Keeping:

• Cataulacus granulatus x2
• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

JaydenScheepers

Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:35 pm

I haven't really seen many queens with wings, only ones I've seen with wings still attached was P. prava.
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

JaydenScheepers

Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:41 pm

SYUTEO wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:14 pm
Polyrhachiskeeper wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:38 pm
I looks like i have the same species in my area, but dont Odontoponera have big jaws that can open 180 degrees? Because the ants in my area are very similar but dont seem to have those jaws that open 180 degrees and have a sort of trail of workers to on fro the food. :?
Those are two different ants, Odontoponera are very common to uncommon and are found throughout south and southeast asia and only comprises of two species (four if you count subspecies), O. denticulata which is the more common species and are black in color and O. transversa which is rarer are are red in color.

Odontomachus are the ants with jaws that open 180 degrees and are found all over the tropics and subtropics and comprises of 76 species and vary in color and size.
Hey SYUTEO, you know quite a bit about ants. Do you know anything about Cataulacus granulatus?
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

SYUTEO

Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:05 pm

JaydenScheepers wrote:
SYUTEO wrote:
Polyrhachiskeeper wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:38 pm
I looks like i have the same species in my area, but dont Odontoponera have big jaws that can open 180 degrees? Because the ants in my area are very similar but dont seem to have those jaws that open 180 degrees and have a sort of trail of workers to on fro the food. :?
Those are two different ants, Odontoponera are very common to uncommon and are found throughout south and southeast asia and only comprises of two species (four if you count subspecies), O. denticulata which is the more common species and are black in color and O. transversa which is rarer are are red in color.

Odontomachus are the ants with jaws that open 180 degrees and are found all over the tropics and subtropics and comprises of 76 species and vary in color and size.
Hey SYUTEO, you know quite a bit about ants. Do you know anything about Cataulacus granulatus?
I unfortunately don't know much about Cataulacus, very few people have managed to raise them.

JaydenScheepers

Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:07 pm

SYUTEO wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:05 pm
JaydenScheepers wrote:
SYUTEO wrote:

I unfortunately don't know much about Cataulacus, very few people have managed to raise them.
Oh that's not good. Well I'll try to document my experience as much as possible.
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

JaydenScheepers

Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:38 am

I am very sad to have to say this, but unfortunately the Odontoponera dealate did not make it. :(
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1