Re: Species ID skills

Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:03 pm

Polyrhachiskeeper wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:58 pm
JaydenScheepers wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 4:18 am
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:55 pm

I ID’ed my ants on males they produced on accident. Once you see two species males, you can instantly tell the two queens species apart. You just start to recognize features that may slightly vary, but it gives you a pretty accurate estimate of what species you have.
Alright thanks, I also found what I believe to be a semi-caulostrial queen, not sure of the species or genus. Maybe Polyrhachis, because she has to spines, but I'm not sure of there are any species of Polyrhachis which are semi-caulostrial. I'll request an ID as soon as I get her into a test-tube.
Im pretty sure all Polyrhachis ants are semi-claustral and picky eaters, they only eat chicken and mealworms and a few special baby crickets like the ones AntsCanada showed in his video about his Polyrhachis ants. Your ant is probably a Polyrhachis ant but there are other species with spikes like Meranoplus bicolor, pls send me a photo and lots of info as i may identify if it's Polyrhachis. But i can tell that it's not Polyrhachis rastellata becuase they dont have spikes. I think Semi-claustral queens have small gasters and Polyrhachis queens have small gasters
Don't worry already Identified her lol, I wasn't close she's not Polyrhachis. She is Odontoponera, finally layed her first egg, took her a while though. However if you do want to ID a colony of Polyrhachis ants I have in my area I would appreciate it. I'll send you a photo when I get back.
Keeping:

• Cataulacus granulatus x2
• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

Polyrhachiskeeper

Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:08 pm

Happy to help. :) And btw, internet cant help you out with Polyrhachis, very few info. :(
Favorite ant:
Polyrhachis/Echinopla

Founding:
-Dark Camponotus nicobarensis
-Polyrhachis illaudata
-Polyrhachis beccarii
-Polyrhachis rastellata 2x

Beginners must not keep Polyrhachis!

JaydenScheepers

Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:10 pm

Polyrhachiskeeper wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:08 pm
Happy to help. :) And btw, internet cant help you out with Polyrhachis, very few info. :(
I would really like to keep Polyrhachis, I really like how they look, their body shape. The colony of Polyrhachis near me looks very similar to P. Restellata except they have spines if I can remember correctly. Do you know when they fly?
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

Polyrhachiskeeper

Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:17 pm

Not really, but i caught a black one with spikes in March (last year) and i found my P. rastellata in maybe june? And i found another P. rastellata in the end of July i think but she died. So from my observations, from March to July?
And did you know there are blue ants belonging to the genus Polyrhachis!?
Favorite ant:
Polyrhachis/Echinopla

Founding:
-Polyrhachis illaudata
-Polyrhachis beccarii

JaydenScheepers

Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:20 pm

Polyrhachiskeeper wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:17 pm
Not really, but i caught a black one with spikes in March (last year) and i found my P. rastellata in maybe june? And i found another P. rastellata in the end of July i think but she died. So from my observations, from March to July?
And did you know there are blue ants belonging to the genus Polyrhachis!?
Alright so I guess I'll have to wait for next year. Yes I did, how ever I believe they are only found in the Philippines and are very rare.

Did you know in Asia your can find ants thatget nearly 3 cm in length and the queen gets a little over 3 cm. I'm talking about Dinomyrmex gigas
Last edited by JaydenScheepers on Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

Polyrhachiskeeper

Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:22 pm

I could be wrong, maybe they last until august? But this is just form 3 observations, very little. They could fly year round like Camponotus, who knows?

And btw, you sure have lots of posts!
Favorite ant:
Polyrhachis/Echinopla

Founding:
-Polyrhachis illaudata
-Polyrhachis beccarii

JaydenScheepers

Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:24 pm

Polyrhachiskeeper wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:22 pm
I could be wrong, maybe they last until august? But this is just form 3 observations, very little. They could fly year round like Camponotus, who knows?

And btw, you sure have lots of posts!
Haha thanks, I like to talk about ants.
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

JaydenScheepers

Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:23 am

I just learnt about a term, "erigatoid". From what I understand, it's a reproductive without wings, a queen born without wings basically. So their like gamergates in a sense?
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

SYUTEO

Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:04 pm

JaydenScheepers wrote:
I just learnt about a term, "erigatoid". From what I understand, it's a reproductive without wings, a queen born without wings basically. So their like gamergates in a sense?
No, gamergates are mated workers. Ergatoids are male or female reproductives born without wings.

JaydenScheepers

Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:10 pm

SYUTEO wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:04 pm
JaydenScheepers wrote:
No, gamergates are mated workers. Ergatoids are male or female reproductives born without wings.
I know, but what I mean is that you wouldn't be able to tell them apart from the rest of the workers easily. From what I know about gamergates is that they look and act exactly as a worker except that they can lay fertile eggs and has mating rights. I don't know much about the erigatoids, but I do know that the single most reliable method we use to recognize a queen is wing scars or the actual wings if their still attached. And erigatoids lak wings from birth and so lak wing scars.
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1