Species ID skills

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

JaydenScheepers

Species ID skills

Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:28 pm

How can you properly ID a exact species in a very diverse genus like Camponotus if the internet doesn't even list all of them?
Keeping:

• Cataulacus granulatus x2
• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: Species ID skills

Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:51 pm

JaydenScheepers wrote:
How can you properly ID a exact species in a very diverse genus like Camponotus if the internet doesn't even list all of them?
Look on sites like ant web. Sometimes they are listed, but usually antwiki has them in keys. What genus did you have in mind?
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

JaydenScheepers

Sat Jul 09, 2022 5:10 am

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
JaydenScheepers wrote:
Look on sites like ant web. Sometimes they are listed, but usually antwiki has them in keys. What genus did you have in mind?
Camponotus, but I'll have to do a re-identification on my Odontomachus queen.
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

SolenopsisKeeper

Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:43 pm

JaydenScheepers wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
JaydenScheepers wrote:
Most Odontomachus have slight differences, so many species will be listed as sub species

JaydenScheepers

Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:19 pm

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
JaydenScheepers wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:

Most Odontomachus have slight differences, so many species will be listed as sub species
Sounds difficult to ID her then
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

SolenopsisKeeper

Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:55 pm

JaydenScheepers wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
JaydenScheepers wrote:

I ID’ed my ants on males they produced on accident. Once you see two species males, you can instantly tell the two queens species apart. You just start to recognize features that may slightly vary, but it gives you a pretty accurate estimate of what species you have.

JaydenScheepers

Sun Jul 10, 2022 4:18 am

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
JaydenScheepers wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:

I ID’ed my ants on males they produced on accident. Once you see two species males, you can instantly tell the two queens species apart. You just start to recognize features that may slightly vary, but it gives you a pretty accurate estimate of what species you have.
Alright thanks, I also found what I believe to be a semi-caulostrial queen, not sure of the species or genus. Maybe Polyrhachis, because she has to spines, but I'm not sure of there are any species of Polyrhachis which are semi-caulostrial. I'll request an ID as soon as I get her into a test-tube.
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

SYUTEO

Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:32 am

JaydenScheepers wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
JaydenScheepers wrote:

Alright thanks, I also found what I believe to be a semi-caulostrial queen, not sure of the species or genus. Maybe Polyrhachis, because she has to spines, but I'm not sure of there are any species of Polyrhachis which are semi-caulostrial. I'll request an ID as soon as I get her into a test-tube.
I'm pretty sure all Polyrhachis are semi-claustral.

JaydenScheepers

Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:49 pm

SYUTEO wrote:
JaydenScheepers wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:

They looked to me like fully claustral, from what I've seen in real life and on the internet is that semi-caulostrial queens usually look almost just like the workers except for a few differences, like them being slightly larger, a slightly bigger gaster and thorax for their size and wing scars. And what I have noticed for fully claustral queens is that pretty much all of them dwarf their workers, had a noticably bigger gaster and thorax for their size, with wing scars, and some may even look completely different to their workers.
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

SYUTEO

Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:34 pm

JaydenScheepers wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:49 pm
SYUTEO wrote:
JaydenScheepers wrote:

They looked to me like fully claustral, from what I've seen in real life and on the internet is that semi-caulostrial queens usually look almost just like the workers except for a few differences, like them being slightly larger, a slightly bigger gaster and thorax for their size and wing scars. And what I have noticed for fully claustral queens is that pretty much all of them dwarf their workers, had a noticably bigger gaster and thorax for their size, with wing scars, and some may even look completely different to their workers.
It's true, but Polyrhachis queens are almost the same size as their workers. Almost every time I see Polyrhachis I will check if it's a queen because in some species you need to get up close in order to tell.