I'm trying to ID my trap-jaw queen. Thailand

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

JaydenScheepers

Re: I'm trying to ID my trap-jaw queen. Thailand

Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:10 pm

Guys! Today is truly an exiting day. 2 days ago I saw the first larvae, (the queen separated the larvae and the batch of eggs) and today I saw what I believe is two more larvae. Soon I will have a Odontomachus colony, I will monitor them very closely.( Sorry I don't have pictures, the test-tube is too foggy to get a meaningful photo out of.
Keeping:

• Cataulacus granulatus x2
• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

SolenopsisKeeper

Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:17 pm

JaydenScheepers wrote:
Guys! Today is truly an exiting day. 2 days ago I saw the first larvae, (the queen separated the larvae and the batch of eggs) and today I saw what I believe is two more larvae. Soon I will have a Odontomachus colony, I will monitor them very closely.( Sorry I don't have pictures, the test-tube is too foggy to get a meaningful photo out of.
Don’t count pupae before they hatch with Odontomachus. Some Odontomachus queens will kill their pupae for no reason, eat brood for no reason, and even die randomly.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

JaydenScheepers

Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:11 am

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
JaydenScheepers wrote:
Don’t count pupae before they hatch with Odontomachus. Some Odontomachus queens will kill their pupae for no reason, eat brood for no reason, and even die randomly.
Where is the survival benefit in that?
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

SYUTEO

Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:22 am

JaydenScheepers wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
JaydenScheepers wrote:
Sometimes queens are just stubborn. Some Odontomachus queens even raise males even if they are mated.

JaydenScheepers

Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:40 am

SYUTEO wrote:
JaydenScheepers wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:

Sometimes queens are just stubborn. Some Odontomachus queens even raise males even if they are mated.
Still, it makes no sense as to why their behavior would be like that. It is basically self sabotaging, there has to be an explanation. I'll try to get a bigger sample size and monitor them closely
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

SolenopsisKeeper

Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:33 am

JaydenScheepers wrote:
SYUTEO wrote:
JaydenScheepers wrote:

Still, it makes no sense as to why their behavior would be like that. It is basically self sabotaging, there has to be an explanation. I'll try to get a bigger sample size and monitor them closely
When I first raised my Odontomachus, I raised two queen. One queen, whom I checked on every two weeks and put food in an outworld every day,(and nectar) decided to always eat her mature larvae. She died after keeping her for 6 months.

Self-sabatoage? I think not, as she can reabsorb that protein for a future batch of eggs, and they may do it based on what food they find? Not sure, but next march I am going to raise 50 local Odontomachus queens of two species.

JaydenScheepers

Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:37 am

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:33 am
JaydenScheepers wrote:
SYUTEO wrote:

When I first raised my Odontomachus, I raised two queen. One queen, whom I checked on every two weeks and put food in an outworld every day,(and nectar) decided to always eat her mature larvae. She died after keeping her for 6 months.

Self-sabatoage? I think not, as she can reabsorb that protein for a future batch of eggs, and they may do it based on what food they find? Not sure, but next march I am going to raise 50 local Odontomachus queens of two species.
I call it self "sabotaging", because the whole gimmick of queen ants is to start an army to look after her later on in her life. If she eats her army before they can become soldiers, it's basically self sabotaging.
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

JaydenScheepers

Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:44 pm

Her out world had a mealworm surviving in her out world that I had put in a while ago. Today when I checked upon her and her brood I saw a very dead mealworm in her test tube, probably to feed all her hungry larvae.

Also should I watch closely for mold?
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

SolenopsisKeeper

Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:58 pm

JaydenScheepers wrote:
Her out world had a mealworm surviving in her out world that I had put in a while ago. Today when I checked upon her and her brood I saw a very dead mealworm in her test tube, probably to feed all her hungry larvae.

If you feed her fruit flies. That was my mistake, as they mold VERY quickly

JaydenScheepers

Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:10 pm

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:58 pm
JaydenScheepers wrote:

If you feed her fruit flies. That was my mistake, as they mold VERY quickly
So don't feed her fruit flies? Got it.
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1