Requesting Confirmation of Identity - Tetramorium immigrans Queen

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

DelcoAnts

Requesting Confirmation of Identity - Tetramorium immigrans Queen

Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:30 am

Hello Everyone,

On May 30, 2022 in Pennsylvania on the outskirts of Philadelphia, I saved a queen ant from drowning in a pool. This was around 12 PM. I put her in a test tube setup and it turns out she is fertile. I believe she is a Tetramorium immigrans queen, but I wanted to get a second opinion from the ant keeping community because I am still new at identifying ants. She is black in color and about 10mm in length. She has not removed her wings as of June 25, 2022. Thank you for your help.

Photos taken on June 24, 2022:

<Insert witty, insightful, and helpful ant comment here>

AntsInMB

Re: Requesting Confirmation of Identity - Tetramorium immigrans Queen

Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:25 pm

I do believe that is a tetramorium immigrans queen. Just to let you know they are invasive.

DelcoAnts

Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:50 am

Hello AntsInMB,

Thank you for your reply and confirmation. I am aware that Tetramorium immigrans originally came from Europe and was likely brought over to North America by mistake in the 19th century. Since that time, it has become an established part of the local ecosystem, and is widespread all along the east coast of the United States and beyond. It is not considered to be destructive, as it has long ago found its niche in North America's circle of life. (Not to mention we couldn't remove them if we tried.) AntsCanada has kept a colony himself many years ago when he lived in Canada and believes that they are an okay species to keep, as long as they are found widespread in your local area and are established there. I also believe this philosophy to be true. I already have a growing colony in captivity (besides the newly caught queen), and it turns out I have two ferial colonies on my property somewhere that like to do battle with each other in the spring. Thank you for your information about the species.
<Insert witty, insightful, and helpful ant comment here>

SolenopsisKeeper

Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:05 pm

DelcoAnts wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:50 am
Hello AntsInMB,

Thank you for your reply and confirmation. I am aware that Tetramorium immigrans originally came from Europe and was likely brought over to North America by mistake in the 19th century. Since that time, it has become an established part of the local ecosystem, and is widespread all along the east coast of the United States and beyond. It is not considered to be destructive, as it has long ago found its niche in North America's circle of life. (Not to mention we couldn't remove them if we tried.) AntsCanada has kept a colony himself many years ago when he lived in Canada and believes that they are an okay species to keep, as long as they are found widespread in your local area and are established there. I also believe this philosophy to be true. I already have a growing colony in captivity (besides the newly caught queen), and it turns out I have two ferial colonies on my property somewhere that like to do battle with each other in the spring. Thank you for your information about the species.
Actually they are destructive. Any new ant always competes for food with native species, and people have noted them killing native colonies, killing dealate queens, and even colonies dispersing in their presence.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…