Italy, June 10th, queen ID request

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

Ereven

Italy, June 10th, queen ID request

Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:21 am

Hi everyone!
I'm really new to the ant keeping community, this is my first catch! I found her on a brick road, roaming in search of a good spot to start a nest. I was intrigued by her size, it is 8-10mm, never seen one this big here where I live.
The colour is really dark, I'd say black, but the legs and the antennae have a reddish shade under the right light. The abdomen has wonderful silver translucent shiny stripes, due to the distension caused by the eggs I think. She's very active, and likes to hide her head under the tissue/cotton I use for her hydration. She scattered her eggs all around the first big container I used to house her (now I switched to a test tube), but could be due to the stress I put on her, always looking and moving the container.
Based on Google Lens searches, I think she could be a Formica fusca or a Formica cunicularia, but I don't know what the differences are from this two (the Formica cunicularia is lighter and brownish in some photos, but I read that the colour may vary with the region).
Hope you can help! Ask me anything!
~Sam

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: Italy, June 10th, queen ID request

Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:52 am

Ereven wrote:
Hi everyone!
I'm really new to the ant keeping community, this is my first catch! I found her on a brick road, roaming in search of a good spot to start a nest. I was intrigued by her size, it is 8-10mm, never seen one this big here where I live.
The colour is really dark, I'd say black, but the legs and the antennae have a reddish shade under the right light. The abdomen has wonderful silver translucent shiny stripes, due to the distension caused by the eggs I think. She's very active, and likes to hide her head under the tissue/cotton I use for her hydration. She scattered her eggs all around the first big container I used to house her (now I switched to a test tube), but could be due to the stress I put on her, always looking and moving the container.
Based on Google Lens searches, I think she could be a Formica fusca or a Formica cunicularia, but I don't know what the differences are from this two (the Formica cunicularia is lighter and brownish in some photos, but I read that the colour may vary with the region).
~Sam
Try imagur pictures or google photon, and link it here. Thanks!
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

Ereven

Re: Italy, June 10th, queen ID request

Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:01 pm

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:52 am
Ereven wrote:
Hi everyone!
~Sam
Try imagur pictures or google photon, and link it here. Thanks!
I linked them from Google Photos, in my preview I can see them! I'll try with imgur: