Worker or queen?

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

DrMill

Worker or queen?

Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:10 am

I'm a begginner, this may seem stupid but is this ant a worker or a queen? Ive seen a queen that looks like workers.

I think this is a camponotus worker, Any way if it is, I can simply return it back outside. I'm just a little hyped since my iridomyrex has already laid eggs two days after I caught her, is that normal? lol :D
Luke Millar

Ant keeper of iridomyrmex
Perth, Western Australia

Batspiderfish

Re: Worker or queen?

Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:25 am

Camponotus major worker.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

DrMill

Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:33 am

Batspiderfish wrote:Camponotus major worker.
Thanks!
Luke Millar

Ant keeper of iridomyrmex
Perth, Western Australia

Serafine

Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:36 am

This is a Camponotus major worker. You can easily recognize the majors due their HUGE heads (they're basically the crowbars of an ant colony, specialized in breaking and cutting up stuff the minor workers' jaws are too weak for).

Queens are the same size but have smaller heads, also their heads are not as "heart-shaped" as those of the majors. The males have super small (almost round) heads and are very skinny.

AntLove4Evr

Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:49 pm

DrMill wrote:I'm a begginner, this may seem stupid but is this ant a worker or a queen? Ive seen a queen that looks like workers.

I think this is a camponotus worker, Any way if it is, I can simply return it back outside. I'm just a little hyped since my iridomyrex has already laid eggs two days after I caught her, is that normal? lol :D
Though it seems to be a major worker, keep a look out for a sort of flat back and wing scars on the side. That's one of the easiest ways to tell queen from major.

allenjl3

Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:27 pm

I've been lucky enough to catch 3 queens in 4 trips to some trails here in Columbus, OH... I've found that the easiest way to identify the queens are:

1) They MUST have a large thorax... as mentioned in AC videos, queens have an "elevated platform-style thorax", and I've found wing scars on all 3 that I've captured...

2) They're simply large... even bigger than the major worker in your photo. They also all have noticeable big gasters (butts!).

Here are three different images of the queens I've caught. You'll notice the difference in thorax/gaster size!

https://imgur.com/a/vbiaTLI (Camponotus - A beautiful photo, this one!... my favorite)

https://imgur.com/a/oBaLy11 (Camponotus)

https://imgur.com/a/Y1yguVR (Formica I believe)