Test Tube Width

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: Test Tube Width

Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:53 pm

Ostrichking371 wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:40 pm
Also, people in my house tend to yell across the house to communicate and make a lot of noise and vibrations (garage door opening, loud door closes, etc). I keep the ant in my room where I frequently walk in and out, often without trying to be quiet. It this a risk for scaring my queen?
No, I kept queens under a mattress that I rolled around on and it was fine. It is only with opening drawers that they are in, moving them, shaking their box(Who would do this though), etc.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

Ostrichking371

Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:56 pm

So even people frequently yelling downstairs won’t make her uncomfortable?

SolenopsisKeeper

Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:33 pm

Ostrichking371 wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:56 pm
So even people frequently yelling downstairs won’t make her uncomfortable?
If it did, every single one of my colonies would be dead. I raise ants in a drawer on my bed, and I think me falling in the floor every morning would hurt them, but no. If you are concerned it could affect her(some are sensitive)wrap her in a cloth.

Ostrichking371

Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:31 am

People are coming to clean my house on Wednesday, but I a going out of town tomorrow. I am thinking about putting a sign on my bedroom door to not enter (so they don’t vacuum around it and bump the desk where she is stored). I was wondering if I should put the cloth around her today before I go so the sound and vibrations doesn’t disturb her. I also see a small gap between the desk and the drawer which may let some light inside it, so the cloth could also help with that. I last checked on her on Tuesday night, so it hasn’t been a full week. Is it worth disturbing her to protect her from light and sound?

Thanks!

SolenopsisKeeper

Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:38 am

Ostrichking371 wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:31 am
People are coming to clean my house on Wednesday, but I a going out of town tomorrow. I am thinking about putting a sign on my bedroom door to not enter (so they don’t vacuum around it and bump the desk where she is stored). I was wondering if I should put the cloth around her today before I go so the sound and vibrations doesn’t disturb her. I also see a small gap between the desk and the drawer which may let some light inside it, so the cloth could also help with that. I last checked on her on Tuesday night, so it hasn’t been a full week. Is it worth disturbing her to protect her from light and sound?

Thanks!
Light won’t bother them much, as I have now learned. I am raising a Camponotus queen straight up on my dresser with no darkness for her. Laid 3 eggs….

Check on her right before you leave, assuming your trip is a week or so.

Ostrichking371

Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:36 am

Update:
I checked on her Sunday morning right before I left. I was pleasantly surprised when I saw the pupa was still there! When I was putting her in the tube, I accidentally squeezed two of the pupa. There was no visual damage, but maybe she ate them because she knew they were unwell. I return tomorrow and will check on her on Saturday and hopefully all went well.

SolenopsisKeeper

Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:22 pm

Ostrichking371 wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:36 am
Update:
I checked on her Sunday morning right before I left. I was pleasantly surprised when I saw the pupa was still there! When I was putting her in the tube, I accidentally squeezed two of the pupa. There was no visual damage, but maybe she ate them because she knew they were unwell. I return tomorrow and will check on her on Saturday and hopefully all went well.
They will eat pupae that is dead. Be careful with them,as they are nantics who die easily.

Ostrichking371

Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:42 am

I checked today and there was one pupa, some larva, and some eggs. I’m super excited as this is the first larva I’ve seen!! As I checked on her, she picked up a pupa, so I figured it was time to close the drawer. My AntsCanada camponotus gear pack just arrived, and I’m wounded if I should move her into a more spacious test tube. I know you said it would be fine, but everytime I check on her she is facing the opening of the tube, and I’m unsure if she can turn towards the water. If I should move her, how do I do that? I’m also worried that moving her today could stress her too much as I’ve already checked on her today. Thanks!!

SolenopsisKeeper

Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:33 am

Ostrichking371 wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:42 am
I checked today and there was one pupa, some larva, and some eggs. I’m super excited as this is the first larva I’ve seen!! As I checked on her, she picked up a pupa, so I figured it was time to close the drawer. My AntsCanada camponotus gear pack just arrived, and I’m wounded if I should move her into a more spacious test tube. I know you said it would be fine, but everytime I check on her she is facing the opening of the tube, and I’m unsure if she can turn towards the water. If I should move her, how do I do that? I’m also worried that moving her today could stress her too much as I’ve already checked on her today. Thanks!!
Do not move her… trust me, I have lost pupae in colonies of Camponotus like this. Wait for the pupae to hatch, and when It fully hardens, then move them. I wouldn’t give her another tube and let her move on her own because some people have had issues with her abandoning the brood. In a week or two, that worker will hatch

Ostrichking371

Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:39 am

Okay! You’re sure she can access the water and turn around?! Thanks, just don’t want to mess up my first colony!