Some help with identification?

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

RespectforAnts

Some help with identification?

Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:16 pm

Today I found a small queen ant about 1/2 to 1 cm long on the base of a tree in my yard, She is all black with some of her thorax a redish. I am confused as to what species she is because I have never seen a queen like her. Anyone with Info would be very helpful. Thanks

-RespectforAnts
C. Novaeboracensis (my favorite ant
C. Pennsylvannicus x2
Tetramorium Immigrans x2

Antloverhuman

Re: Some help with identification?

Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:49 am

Upload the photos on imgur and copy paste the link here
Ants I have-
camponotus compressus colony- the shadow warriors.
Pls just let me have a tetramorium colony

RespectforAnts

Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:17 pm

It doesn't matter anymore because on Thursday we caught a Camponotus Penn. queen and when we went to put her test tube with her in it inside a box that the other queen was in, the cotton ball fell out of the other queens tube with her on it, we found her in the carpet but somehow her abdomen got sheared off and was struggling around. It was very sad but I knew i had to end her pain, so that's what I did...
C. Pennsylvannicus x2
Tetramorium Immigrans x2

SolenopsisKeeper

Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:21 pm

RespectforAnts wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:17 pm
It doesn't matter anymore because on Thursday we caught a Camponotus Penn. queen and when we went to put her test tube with her in it inside a box that the other queen was in, the cotton ball fell out of the other queens tube with her on it, we found her in the carpet but somehow her abdomen got sheared off and was struggling around. It was very sad but I knew i had to end her pain, so that's what I did...
I am so sorry! It is always terrible when you think you killed a queen, but my way to feel better is-

Well alates in the wild have 99% mortality long term. Therefore, I ended her suffering as in the wild she would be starved, used as a host, assassinated, or pulled apart limb by limb, not to mention pesticides.

Ps. You are combined halo, correct?
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

RespectforAnts

Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:25 pm

Yes I am CombinedHalo467 and other names because this forum has a habit of kicking me out of my account and I finally wrote down my password, my fault lol :lol:
C. Pennsylvannicus x2
Tetramorium Immigrans x2

RespectforAnts

Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:03 pm

On the bright side in addition to the Camponotus Penn. I caught on Thursday, Update:she has a cluster of I am guessing 4-5 eggs, I caught 2 other Camponotus queens not 5 minutes apart 1 being another Camponotus Penn. the other being my favorite species Camponotus Novaeboracensis! I am very excited for this new anting season and for me its off to a really great start!!
C. Pennsylvannicus x2
Tetramorium Immigrans x2

SolenopsisKeeper

Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:08 pm

RespectforAnts wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:03 pm
On the bright side in addition to the Camponotus Penn. I caught on Thursday, Update:she has a cluster of I am guessing 4-5 eggs, I caught 2 other Camponotus queens not 5 minutes apart 1 being another Camponotus Penn. the other being my favorite species Camponotus Novaeboracensis! I am very excited for this new anting season and for me its off to a really great start!!
I am over here why you have a great start-
Odontomachus queens? Only a few, one 100% fertile Camponotus queen, and some common invasive species. Florida’s flights are messed up this year it seems. A lot of species flew late this year so….

RespectforAnts

Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:39 am

Up here in Wisconsin we had a chilly spring so I believe it made flights later by a week or two.
C. Pennsylvannicus x2
Tetramorium Immigrans x2

RespectforAnts

Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:33 pm

Tetramorium flights happened after a light rainstorm and me and my brother managed to catch 3 queens after we saw a ton of dead ones being hauled away by tetramorium workers :? but we also caught another mystery queen who is light yellow and about the size of the other queens but much more robust and a bit shorter, so after a bit of research I am going to make a guess and say shes a citronella ant otherwise known as Lasius Interjectus. All the queens are settling in. And 1 week ago we peeked in on the carpenters and the 2 Camponotus Penn. queens both have a cluster of eggs! :D
C. Pennsylvannicus x2
Tetramorium Immigrans x2

SolenopsisKeeper

Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:35 am

RespectforAnts wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:33 pm
Tetramorium flights happened after a light rainstorm and me and my brother managed to catch 3 queens after we saw a ton of dead ones being hauled away by tetramorium workers :? but we also caught another mystery queen who is light yellow and about the size of the other queens but much more robust and a bit shorter, so after a bit of research I am going to make a guess and say shes a citronella ant otherwise known as Lasius Interjectus. All the queens are settling in. And 1 week ago we peeked in on the carpenters and the 2 Camponotus Penn. queens both have a cluster of eggs! :D
Maybe start a journal in the blog start of the forum? I would say the title currently is a bit misleading.