I need help identifying my queen. She gets stressed easily, she is about 2-3 cm long.

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

JaydenScheepers

I need help identifying my queen. She gets stressed easily, she is about 2-3 cm long.

Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:52 am

Hello, I caught my first female elate, and I have had her for 21 days. Ever since I have been trying to identify her exact species, I do suspect she belongs to the genus, "camponotus" and I have found a species known as, "camponotus cosmicus". However, my queen ant doesn't have any red tinted legs or thorax, nor did I find her in Africa. I currently live on a island called, Phuket in Thailand. I found her in my village next to the sidewalk close to a drain, when I got her in the test-tube, I noticed she got very stressed easily, and she is a lot quicker that I had expected, I mean she can run like crazy. She is all black, with darker black rings going around her abdomen, and when her abdomen is in a certain angel in the light, it turns to a gold-ish tint. I am having trouble uploading photos here.
Keeping:

• Cataulacus granulatus x2
• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

AntsLuxembourg

Re: I need help identifying my queen. She gets stressed easily, she is about 2-3 cm long.

Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:42 am

JaydenScheepers wrote:
Hello, I caught my first female elate, and I have had her for 21 days. Ever since I have been trying to identify her exact species, I do suspect she belongs to the genus, "camponotus" and I have found a species known as, "camponotus cosmicus". However, my queen ant doesn't have any red tinted legs or thorax, nor did I find her in Africa. I currently live on a island called, Phuket in Thailand. I found her in my village next to the sidewalk close to a drain, when I got her in the test-tube, I noticed she got very stressed easily, and she is a lot quicker that I had expected, I mean she can run like crazy. She is all black, with darker black rings going around her abdomen, and when her abdomen is in a certain angel in the light, it turns to a gold-ish tint. I am having trouble uploading photos here.
Could you please include a picture? Post it on imgur.com and put the link in your next post. It will help a lot to have a picture even if not super ultra 4K resolution quality.
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.

JaydenScheepers

Re: I need help identifying my queen. She gets stressed easily, she is about 2-3 cm long.

Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:20 am

AntsLuxembourg wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:42 am
JaydenScheepers wrote:
Could you please include a picture? Post it on imgur.com and put the link in your next post. It will help a lot to have a picture even if not super ultra 4K resolution quality.
Ah ok so that's how I get photos to be reviewed, I thought I had to get it in this website somehow.
Link: https://imgur.com/gallery/lHNgGXG
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

AntsLuxembourg

Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:51 am

JaydenScheepers wrote:
Ah ok so that's how I get photos to be reviewed, I thought I had to get it in this website somehow.
She's a real beauty. :)
I know currently there are optimisations to be made for users to help them post pictures and I'm working on improvements with some trusted users but it takes time since I do this in my spare time.

I permitted myself to also fix your post and turn the link into a clickable link. ;)

I guess one of the others will have a look at this. :)

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

JaydenScheepers

Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:54 am

AntsLuxembourg wrote:
JaydenScheepers wrote:
I know currently there are optimisations to be made for users to help them post pictures and I'm working on improvements with some trusted users but it takes time since I do this in my spare time.

I permitted myself to also fix your post and turn the link into a clickable link. ;)

Thanks, yeah I would like to ID her as fast as possible so I can start researching. She is very beautiful and she means a lot to me. Good luck on the development.
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

JaydenScheepers

Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:09 pm

AntsLuxembourg wrote:
JaydenScheepers wrote:

I'm worried, her gaster expanded quite a bit. I know that's normal for a fertile egg laying queen, however I don't want to take any risks, I recently fed her honey, today I checked on her and her gaster was expanded and she seemed agitated. Should I give her some protein? I'm going to mover her to a clean test tube, because she had not finished the honey and the honey doesn't look good.
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

JaydenScheepers

Sat Jun 04, 2022 4:51 am

I have decided to make a new and better description. I live on a island called Phuket in Thailand, I caught my queen on the 12th of May on the sidewalk. She is 20 mm in length, and she normally stays with her young, however in the old test tube she had more space so she would occasionally walk back and forth. This morning I found her gaster to have expanded, and she cleaned herself often. In the old test tube she also seemed a bit agitated and pulled on the cotton, although now she's fine. I uploaded some new photos, hopefully these will help with identification: https://imgur.com/gallery/biMyvdh
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

JaydenScheepers

Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:16 am

AntsLuxembourg wrote:
JaydenScheepers wrote:

I know I'm starting to clutter this place, but I think I found her species or something close to it anyway. "Camponotus Auriventis" their an Asian based ant species that look very similar to my queen. If you read this, I would love to hear your thoughts on this.
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

JaydenScheepers

Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:48 am

JaydenScheepers wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 4:51 am
I have decided to make a new and better description. I live on a island called Phuket in Thailand, I caught my queen on the 12th of May on the sidewalk. She is 20 mm in length, and she normally stays with her young, however in the old test tube she had more space so she would occasionally walk back and forth. This morning I found her gaster to have expanded, and she cleaned herself often. In the old test tube she also seemed a bit agitated and pulled on the cotton, although now she's fine. I uploaded some new photos, hopefully these will help with identification: https://imgur.com/gallery/biMyvdh
Sorry I wanted to post a correction on my side, no she is not a massive ant at 20 mm. Don't know how I got to that measurement, she is about 15 mm in length.
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

AntsLuxembourg

Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:23 am

Hey,

About the honey, usually it's fine but if she is camponotus she doesn't need feeding. If I remember correctly they are fully claustral.
Not sure why but normally someone would have given some ID already. Will have a look and check with them. ;)

If you want to clean up honey, just grad a piece of toilet paper and tweezers and sweep it up with with the toilet paper around the tweezers. That's how I usually do it. ;)