I found a queen ant and i need help to id it

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

SYUTEO

Re: I found a queen ant and i need help to id it

Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:16 am

Polyrhachiskeeper wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 2:50 am
SYUTEO: So trap-jaw ants need substrate to spin cocoons and are picky about their conditions? I heard bull ants also need substrate to for their larvae.
Ok, thanks! Nice to know my queen is fully claustral :D :D. Now i dont need to worry if she'll die of hunger :lol: .
She really looks like the queen of the small ants in my area but a bit lighter and also a big abdomen. She doesnt make her abdomen like really flat and thin, it like, becomes very elongated and somtimes she sort of contracts it.

Solenopsiskeeper: Was it really your first species?! Do you still have her?
I dont think this is a velvet ant, she much too small.
Yes, if you want to keep easy trap jaw ants, there really isn't many options. Many ants that spin cocoons need something (usually substrate) to spin their cocoons.

SolenopsisKeeper

Sat Jul 16, 2022 9:43 am

SYUTEO wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:16 am
Polyrhachiskeeper wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 2:50 am
SYUTEO: So trap-jaw ants need substrate to spin cocoons and are picky about their conditions? I heard bull ants also need substrate to for their larvae.
Ok, thanks! Nice to know my queen is fully claustral :D :D. Now i dont need to worry if she'll die of hunger :lol: .
She really looks like the queen of the small ants in my area but a bit lighter and also a big abdomen. She doesnt make her abdomen like really flat and thin, it like, becomes very elongated and somtimes she sort of contracts it.

Solenopsiskeeper: Was it really your first species?! Do you still have her?
I dont think this is a velvet ant, she much too small.
Yes, if you want to keep easy trap jaw ants, there really isn't many options. Many ants that spin cocoons need something (usually substrate) to spin their cocoons.
True, especially with founding. Founding is a matter of luck and repetition for feeding. 60% of my Odontomachus queens ate their eggs because I was a day late on feeding. Sometimes, you get queens who eat their cocoons and others who just don’t ever get larvae.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

Polyrhachiskeeper

Sat Jul 16, 2022 11:18 pm

Wow! Really cool story Solenopsiskeeper!

Now i have another emergency! I caught 4 black crazy ants queens along with brood and workers, they were nesting in a pile of wood. I long suspected there was a colony there. I've ran out of test tubes sadly. One for my Polyrhachis and for my unknown queen. What should i do? If i keep them in the container their in they will escape if i give food or water. :|
I think these queens need workers as she is accustomed to being cared, fed, licked, by her workers. I could make a fast terrarium from a plastic container with dirt, but the problem with that is moving them without escaping and their container is filled with dirt and other debri that i dont want in the terarium.
Or just buy lots of test tubes straight away put the queens in? along with some brood and workers to help her? This will also be hard as the ants are eager to escape.
Favorite ant:
Polyrhachis/Echinopla

Founding:
-Dark Camponotus nicobarensis
-Polyrhachis illaudata
-Polyrhachis beccarii
-Polyrhachis rastellata 2x

Beginners must not keep Polyrhachis!

Polyrhachiskeeper

Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:11 am

I think the terarium is the best
Favorite ant:
Polyrhachis/Echinopla

Founding:
-Polyrhachis illaudata
-Polyrhachis beccarii

SolenopsisKeeper

Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:52 am

Polyrhachiskeeper wrote:

Now i have another emergency! I caught 4 black crazy ants queens along with brood and workers, they were nesting in a pile of wood. I long suspected there was a colony there. I've ran out of test tubes sadly. One for my Polyrhachis and for my unknown queen. What should i do? If i keep them in the container their in they will escape if i give food or water. :|
I think these queens need workers as she is accustomed to being cared, fed, licked, by her workers. I could make a fast terrarium from a plastic container with dirt, but the problem with that is moving them without escaping and their container is filled with dirt and other debri that i dont want in the terarium.
Or just buy lots of test tubes straight away put the queens in? along with some brood and workers to help her? This will also be hard as the ants are eager to escape.

You could put them in tufò Ware with about 10mm of substrate. This would be best, as then they don’t have to adapt to captivity just yet. Add a barrier like talc powder with alcohol or fluon

Polyrhachiskeeper

Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:37 pm

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:52 am
Polyrhachiskeeper wrote:

You could put them in tufò Ware with about 10mm of substrate. This would be best, as then they don’t have to adapt to captivity just yet. Add a barrier like talc powder with alcohol or fluon
I've already put them in a sorta container and its quite big and a bit too much of substrate, only about 2-3cm is air, they havent dug and their brood is on top of the substrate. Im planing on putting them in test tubes and in the meantime maybe put a vaseline/petroleum jelly barier. And it's nice i have some workers because these queens are accustomed of laying eggs and caring about nothing.
Favorite ant:
Polyrhachis/Echinopla

Founding:
-Polyrhachis illaudata
-Polyrhachis beccarii

Polyrhachiskeeper

Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:03 am

SYUTEO wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:33 am
Polyrhachiskeeper wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:05 am
Emergency! I caught a new queen ant! I think she is a pharaoh ant, i found her in my yard, she's about 4mm long, and she can do crazy stuff with her abdomen, she can make it long and short or thin and higher, like compressing it.
Her abdomen is gigantic compared to her body and she looks like the queen of the small ants in my area (I'm almost sure the small ants are pharaoh ants, they eat everything and i found the queens and managed to catch maybe 4,5 queens, sadly i couldnt keep them, long story)

Here are the photos:

https://ibb.co/mSyLJvJ
https://ibb.co/TR0pg7Z

I caught her this week, cant remember what day but i think monday or tuesday.
She already layed an egg. I really hope she is fully claustral and isnt picky about food (for example pharaoh ants! :D ). Even if she only lives for 4-12 months, if she is a pharaoh ant that is, it would be very nice to experience a fully claustral ant that eats everything.

I cuaght her in the morning round 11-12 am.

Btw my Polyrhachis rastellata has an adult worker ant!!! This is her first worker and my first experience of a pupa becoming a worker. :D
Wow, congrats! A beginner successfully raising a species as hard as Polyrhachis is very rare, although there are a few more people who have done it. I read an old topic on this forum about someone who successfully raised trap-jaw ants to workers and it was his first ever queen ant.

Also you said your queen can do crazy stuff with her abdomen, can she do something like this? Also can you get a closer shot of her? It will be easier to identify like that, also a pic of the side will help.
I'll send you a picture on Jul 19 or 20
Favorite ant:
Polyrhachis/Echinopla

Founding:
-Polyrhachis illaudata
-Polyrhachis beccarii

Polyrhachiskeeper

Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:56 pm

She now is nesting near the water cotton and has abandoned her eggs near the cotton plug. That just what i found when checked her, could be something else
Favorite ant:
Polyrhachis/Echinopla

Founding:
-Polyrhachis illaudata
-Polyrhachis beccarii

Polyrhachiskeeper

Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:18 pm

About that small queen, she died. I have no idea why, she had a few eggs and a larva.
And now i have another small queen, it looks almost the same as that small queen that died but is darker red and the abdomen is smaller but its elongated. She looks like a pharaoh ant and she is polygynous as i have found many queens. The worker ants are polymorphic and range from about 4mm to 5 or 6mm, and the queen is about 1.5 cm. I think that about half of it is her abdomen. They are everywhere in my house and i see them in other places too. :lol:
Favorite ant:
Polyrhachis/Echinopla

Founding:
-Polyrhachis illaudata
-Polyrhachis beccarii

SolenopsisKeeper

Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:48 pm

Polyrhachiskeeper wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:18 pm
About that small queen, she died. I have no idea why, she had a few eggs and a larva.
And now i have another small queen, it looks almost the same as that small queen that died but is darker red and the abdomen is smaller but its elongated. She looks like a pharaoh ant and she is polygynous as i have found many queens. The worker ants are polymorphic and range from about 4mm to 5 or 6mm, and the queen is about 1.5 cm. I think that about half of it is her abdomen. They are everywhere in my house and i see them in other places too. :lol:
Sounds like a large species like Camponotus. Can you link a photo?