Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

SYUTEO

Re: I found a queen ant and i need help to id it

Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:55 am

Polyrhachiskeeper wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:56 am
Ive not cared for camponotus but there are camponotus in my area
If you want to join then go ahead. If you want to keep Camponotus you don't have to wait long, some species are already flying right now, C. albosparsus and C. irritans are excellent beginner species, my first ever ant colony is Camponotus albosparsus, also one of my favourites, they have an interesting pattern on the replete's gasters and are very common.

Polyrhachiskeeper

Sun Jul 10, 2022 2:42 am

I dont know what type of camponotus the one in my area are but they look like C. albosparsus or C. irritans. But i think lots of carpenter ants look the same. The carpenter ants in my area have 2 colonies and are nocturnal, ive tried grouping one ant an another from another place in my house and they started fighting :shock: :o . And also a black ant wich looks like Camponotus parius wich comes out in daytime. Ive heard carpenter ants fly from August to December
Favorite ant:
Polyrhachis/Echinopla

Founding:
-Dark Camponotus nicobarensis
-Polyrhachis illaudata
-Polyrhachis beccarii
-Polyrhachis rastellata 2x

Beginners must not keep Polyrhachis!

SYUTEO

Sun Jul 10, 2022 3:45 am

Polyrhachiskeeper wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 2:42 am
I dont know what type of camponotus the one in my area are but they look like C. albosparsus or C. irritans. But i think lots of carpenter ants look the same. The carpenter ants in my area have 2 colonies and are nocturnal, ive tried grouping one ant an another from another place in my house and they started fighting :shock: :o . And also a black ant wich looks like Camponotus parius wich comes out in daytime. Ive heard carpenter ants fly from August to December
If you can try to take a picture of the ants and I'll identify them.

Polyrhachiskeeper

Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:05 am

Emergency! I caught a new queen ant! I think she is a pharaoh ant, i found her in my yard, she's about 4mm long, and she can do crazy stuff with her abdomen, she can make it long and short or thin and higher, like compressing it.
Her abdomen is gigantic compared to her body and she looks like the queen of the small ants in my area (I'm almost sure the small ants are pharaoh ants, they eat everything and i found the queens and managed to catch maybe 4,5 queens, sadly i couldnt keep them, long story)

Here are the photos:

https://ibb.co/mSyLJvJ
https://ibb.co/TR0pg7Z

I caught her this week, cant remember what day but i think monday or tuesday.
She already layed an egg. I really hope she is fully claustral and isnt picky about food (for example pharaoh ants! :D ). Even if she only lives for 4-12 months, if she is a pharaoh ant that is, it would be very nice to experience a fully claustral ant that eats everything.

I cuaght her in the morning round 11-12 am.

Btw my Polyrhachis rastellata has an adult worker ant!!! This is her first worker and my first experience of a pupa becoming a worker. :D
Favorite ant:
Polyrhachis/Echinopla

Founding:
-Polyrhachis illaudata
-Polyrhachis beccarii

SYUTEO

Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:33 am

Polyrhachiskeeper wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:05 am
Emergency! I caught a new queen ant! I think she is a pharaoh ant, i found her in my yard, she's about 4mm long, and she can do crazy stuff with her abdomen, she can make it long and short or thin and higher, like compressing it.
Her abdomen is gigantic compared to her body and she looks like the queen of the small ants in my area (I'm almost sure the small ants are pharaoh ants, they eat everything and i found the queens and managed to catch maybe 4,5 queens, sadly i couldnt keep them, long story)

Here are the photos:

https://ibb.co/mSyLJvJ
https://ibb.co/TR0pg7Z

I caught her this week, cant remember what day but i think monday or tuesday.
She already layed an egg. I really hope she is fully claustral and isnt picky about food (for example pharaoh ants! :D ). Even if she only lives for 4-12 months, if she is a pharaoh ant that is, it would be very nice to experience a fully claustral ant that eats everything.

I cuaght her in the morning round 11-12 am.

Btw my Polyrhachis rastellata has an adult worker ant!!! This is her first worker and my first experience of a pupa becoming a worker. :D
Wow, congrats! A beginner successfully raising a species as hard as Polyrhachis is very rare, although there are a few more people who have done it. I read an old topic on this forum about someone who successfully raised trap-jaw ants to workers and it was his first ever queen ant.

Also you said your queen can do crazy stuff with her abdomen, can she do something like this? Also can you get a closer shot of her? It will be easier to identify like that, also a pic of the side will help.

Polyrhachiskeeper

Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:14 am

Thanks!
Wow! Did a beginner really raise a trapjaw!? I heard they're semiclaustral but I don't think they're picky about food.
And no, it's more like making her abdomen very flat and long or very high, just changing the shape of the abdomen not like the picture.
She now already has about 4 eggs. I'll be sure to include some pictures.
She's in a test-tube setup and she is nesting at the cotton, the plug cotton not the water cotton. So I think she likes nesting in dry places? It seems as she doesn't want anything to do with the water.
Favorite ant:
Polyrhachis/Echinopla

Founding:
-Polyrhachis illaudata
-Polyrhachis beccarii

SolenopsisKeeper

Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:38 am

Polyrhachiskeeper wrote:
Thanks!
Wow! Did a beginner really raise a trapjaw!? I heard they're semiclaustral but I don't think they're picky about food.
And no, it's more like making her abdomen very flat and long or very high, just changing the shape of the abdomen not like the picture.
She's in a test-tube setup and she is nesting at the cotton, the plug cotton not the water cotton. So I think she likes nesting in dry places? It seems as she doesn't want anything to do with the water.
Odontomachus was actually my first species too :lol:. I only made her eat her brood a couple times…. But she did found in the end. Odontomachus will eat any source of protein that has been killed within 30 minutes, but colonies like partially live prey.

The weird abdomen stuff sounds like velvet ants(Not ants) but that is not one…
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

SYUTEO

Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:13 pm

Polyrhachiskeeper wrote:
Thanks!
Yes, I found the original topic if you want to read it: https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=11563 I find that every queen has their own personality and prefer different foods. I personally that the hardest part isn't stoppong her from eating her brood or her being picky about food, but it's the fact that it's very hard to get the conditions right for the larvae to properly spin their cocoons, I already lost two colonies that I raised by myself from a single queen due to this problem.

So she makes her very flat, never heard of an ant that does this although from the other pictures you took I can deduce that your queen is not a pharaoh ant but she is fully-claustral.

Polyrhachiskeeper

Sat Jul 16, 2022 2:50 am

SYUTEO: So trap-jaw ants need substrate to spin cocoons and are picky about their conditions? I heard bull ants also need substrate to for their larvae.
Ok, thanks! Nice to know my queen is fully claustral :D :D. Now i dont need to worry if she'll die of hunger :lol: .
She really looks like the queen of the small ants in my area but a bit lighter and also a big abdomen. She doesnt make her abdomen like really flat and thin, it like, becomes very elongated and somtimes she sort of contracts it.

Solenopsiskeeper: Was it really your first species?! Do you still have her?
I dont think this is a velvet ant, she much too small.
Favorite ant:
Polyrhachis/Echinopla

Founding:
-Polyrhachis illaudata
-Polyrhachis beccarii

SolenopsisKeeper

Sat Jul 16, 2022 5:20 am

Polyrhachiskeeper wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 2:50 am
SYUTEO: So trap-jaw ants need substrate to spin cocoons and are picky about their conditions? I heard bull ants also need substrate to for their larvae.
Ok, thanks! Nice to know my queen is fully claustral :D :D. Now i dont need to worry if she'll die of hunger :lol: .
She really looks like the queen of the small ants in my area but a bit lighter and also a big abdomen. She doesnt make her abdomen like really flat and thin, it like, becomes very elongated and somtimes she sort of contracts it.

Solenopsiskeeper: Was it really your first species?! Do you still have her?
I dont think this is a velvet ant, she much too small.
Yes, it really was my first species(To succeed) I do still have the colony, who is now coming upon 15 workers. So slow developing, as they produce males sometimes(Unfertile eggs that were supposed to be eaten). My O. Ruginodis also has a lot of size variations. One worker is about as big as the queens gaster, while the others are the same size as the queen.

I was just saying it’s sounds like one, but isn’t one.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…