I found a queen ant and i need help to id it

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

Polyrhachiskeeper

Re: I found a queen ant and i need help to id it

Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:27 pm

Ok, sure Solenopsiskeeper. But im trying to brood boost my P. rastellata queen as i have collected a few cocoons and larvae from a wild carpenter ant colony. There was a worker already coming out of the cocoon and i gave it to my P. rastellata. Its legs are sort of tied together by the cocoon and the queen is not showing too much interest. I have collected 4 cocoons and 3 larvae. What do i do? I already gave 2 cocoons and all the larvae. Will the ant just die? :oops: I'm really hoping she will accept it, and she was sort of helping the ant get out of the cocoon but then lost interest somehow. If all goes well, i will have 7 carpenter ants and 1 P. rastelleta. :D
Favorite ant:
Polyrhachis/Echinopla

Founding:
-Dark Camponotus nicobarensis
-Polyrhachis illaudata
-Polyrhachis beccarii
-Polyrhachis rastellata 2x

Beginners must not keep Polyrhachis!

SolenopsisKeeper

Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:18 am

Polyrhachiskeeper wrote:
Ok, sure Solenopsiskeeper. But im trying to brood boost my P. rastellata queen as i have collected a few cocoons and larvae from a wild carpenter ant colony. There was a worker already coming out of the cocoon and i gave it to my P. rastellata. Its legs are sort of tied together by the cocoon and the queen is not showing too much interest. I have collected 4 cocoons and 3 larvae. What do i do? I already gave 2 cocoons and all the larvae. Will the ant just die? :oops: I'm really hoping she will accept it, and she was sort of helping the ant get out of the cocoon but then lost interest somehow. If all goes well, i will have 7 carpenter ants and 1 P. rastelleta. :D
This yellow ant is a callow. They have no nest scent, and are essentially pupae. When they have silk on the legs, the queen will sometimes help undo it.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

Polyrhachiskeeper

Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:44 pm

The one that came out is now dead and was a male. :( I gave all the cocoons and larvae and the queen stands protectedly over her (giant) larvae. If they are all workers i'll have 6 carpenter ant workers that are almost bigger than the queen. LOL :lol:
Favorite ant:
Polyrhachis/Echinopla

Founding:
-Polyrhachis illaudata
-Polyrhachis beccarii

Polyrhachiskeeper

Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:23 pm

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:48 pm
Polyrhachiskeeper wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:18 pm
About that small queen, she died. I have no idea why, she had a few eggs and a larva.
And now i have another small queen, it looks almost the same as that small queen that died but is darker red and the abdomen is smaller but its elongated. She looks like a pharaoh ant and she is polygynous as i have found many queens. The worker ants are polymorphic and range from about 4mm to 5 or 6mm, and the queen is about 1.5 cm. I think that about half of it is her abdomen. They are everywhere in my house and i see them in other places too. :lol:
Sounds like a large species like Camponotus. Can you link a photo?
Here are some pics:
https://ibb.co/WBwt2cH
https://ibb.co/6gv5hqN

They are really small, i think you've confused yourself, the workers are tiny.
Workers are even smaller, about 2 or 3mm to 4 or 5mm
Favorite ant:
Polyrhachis/Echinopla

Founding:
-Polyrhachis illaudata
-Polyrhachis beccarii

Polyrhachiskeeper

Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:25 pm

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:18 am
Polyrhachiskeeper wrote:
This yellow ant is a callow. They have no nest scent, and are essentially pupae. When they have silk on the legs, the queen will sometimes help undo it.
My colony now:
https://ibb.co/0nLDctY
Favorite ant:
Polyrhachis/Echinopla

Founding:
-Polyrhachis illaudata
-Polyrhachis beccarii

Polyrhachiskeeper

Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:31 pm

i caught a wild 'colony' of what i think are crematogaster ants. I say 'colony' in quotes because i saw no queen just workers and brood, maybe its a sattelite nest? I'm thinking of giving the brood to my small colony of those small ants red ants. I was cutting some plants and removing some dead plants and there were colonies everywhere in the dead plants, i caught that colony of small red ants in a dead plant in the same area. The new ants i cuaght are black and have pointy gasters but dont lift there gaster above their heads or are aggresive. They are in a container now with the dead plants, there are lots of workers too, how do i give the brood?
The red ants are doing well but i want to give them some population, there are max 10 workers, maybe 10 eggs and 5 larvae. The red ants' petiole has 2 loops/bumps like fire ants but dont leave a white postule when they sting, however, they can bite quite hard and can leave a mosquito-like bump that itches. And the queen looks alot like a pharaoh ant queen.
Favorite ant:
Polyrhachis/Echinopla

Founding:
-Polyrhachis illaudata
-Polyrhachis beccarii