I’m new and I need some help

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

SirVive

I’m new and I need some help

Fri May 13, 2022 5:39 pm

I live in south Florida, I found two queens one with wings one without, about 6 or 7 mm A bunch of workers, soliders and eggs and I got a scoop with a little bit of everything. The workers are pretty small and the soldiers have big heads. They were holding a grub down with leaves, I don’t know what all helps but I hope you all can help me[youtube] https://youtu.be/kEaNBdv_EMo[/youtube]

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: I’m new and I need some help

Fri May 13, 2022 10:27 pm

SirVive wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 5:39 pm
I live in south Florida, I found two queens one with wings one without, about 6 or 7 mm A bunch of workers, soliders and eggs and I got a scoop with a little bit of everything. The workers are pretty small and the soldiers have big heads. They were holding a grub down with leaves, I don’t know what all helps but I hope you all can help me[youtube] https://youtu.be/kEaNBdv_EMo[/youtube]
Sure thing! These colonies are great, and fairly easy to dig up(Unless near oak tree roots). These ants are Pheidole obscurithorax and are monogynos unlike the invasive Pheidole megacephala. They will eat fruit flies, and any small insects. They rarely use majors to take down prey, only for defense. Try to give them partially dead prey that the workers can kill, like fruit flies. In my experience they don’t eat anything that is larger than twice the queens size. The winged queen is a female alate, so if you feed your colony lots of protein they will develop more. The colony I dug up is 2 years old, as they have no reproductive pupae(Only a male so far) while other mature colonies have it. It is likely due to the fact my colony was in competition with Fire ants when I found them. Out of curiosity, what other ants have nests near these ants old nest?(Ps. These ants majors bites don’t hurt very much and the worker bites tickle)

They also can adapt pretty quickly, my queen laid eggs 2 days after being introduced into a test tube.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

SirVive

Sun May 15, 2022 10:21 pm

The only other ants I seen were really tiny, I’m not sure what they are.

SolenopsisKeeper

Mon May 16, 2022 6:56 am

SirVive wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 10:21 pm
The only other ants I seen were really tiny, I’m not sure what they are.
Probably Brachymyrmex spp. They are 1-2mm in length and are all brown.

Pheidole megacephala workers are a few mm too, but are golden.

If you post a picture of the small ants, I can ID them for you
When you accidentally reply to yourself…