Pseudomyrmex Gracilis Queen?

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

SeanSz

Pseudomyrmex Gracilis Queen?

Fri May 13, 2022 6:17 am

Hey AC Family… I have been searching out a Pseudomyrmex Gracilis queen for about a month now, and recently setup a hollowed out twig on my front porch to try and lure a queen to start a founding chamber inside of it. Today I went out and saw a graceful twig ant (which I believe is a queen) carrying wood shavings out and depositing them outside the twig! I began photographing her to see if she’s a queen, but then saw a second head pop out as well! It looks like there are two of them inside! If anyone could be of any help, I would much appreciate it!

Do graceful twig ant queens ever found a colony together? Or could this be a queen and her first nanitic?

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: Pseudomyrmex Gracilis Queen?

Fri May 13, 2022 7:04 am

SeanSz wrote:
Hey AC Family… I have been searching out a Pseudomyrmex Gracilis queen for about a month now, and recently setup a hollowed out twig on my front porch to try and lure a queen to start a founding chamber inside of it. Today I went out and saw a graceful twig ant (which I believe is a queen) carrying wood shavings out and depositing them outside the twig! I began photographing her to see if she’s a queen, but then saw a second head pop out as well! It looks like there are two of them inside! If anyone could be of any help, I would much appreciate it!

Do graceful twig ant queens ever found a colony together? Or could this be a queen and her first nanitic?
A queen and her first nantic is possible, but I have heard it is extremely rare but you can get a multi queen colony or these. Usually not though…

But sure! Post a quick picture, and I’ll let you know ;)
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

SeanSz

Fri May 13, 2022 3:21 pm

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
SeanSz wrote:

A queen and her first nantic is possible, but I have heard it is extremely rare but you can get a multi queen colony or these. Usually not though…

Good to know! Thank you! I’ve been trying to post a photo, but the site says “error” every time I submit it.

However, I’ve been checking, and the ant that I believe is a queen with a large thorax is still carrying wood shavings and depositing them outside of the twig. I feel pretty confident she is a queen! Not sure about the other down in the bottom though.

SolenopsisKeeper

Fri May 13, 2022 10:20 pm

SeanSz wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 3:21 pm
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
SeanSz wrote:

Good to know! Thank you! I’ve been trying to post a photo, but the site says “error” every time I submit it.

However, I’ve been checking, and the ant that I believe is a queen with a large thorax is still carrying wood shavings and depositing them outside of the twig. I feel pretty confident she is a queen! Not sure about the other down in the bottom though.
Just post it on imagur and link it here! I dream of a day when board quota has not been reached ;)

Hopefully it is! Many people see queens but ignore it because they aren’t positive it’s a queen and don’t want people to think of them as new. The truth is though, people almost never do that because most of us have asked if something was a queen in some way, whether we spent 4 hours watching YouTube videos on queens(Absolutely not me ;)) or seeing if it lays eggs…

Also, I thought you might want to know both my queens laid eggs, one three the other one
When you accidentally reply to yourself…