I need help with identifying a queen

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

aidan0616

I need help with identifying a queen

Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:07 pm

Hi, i caught her in New York, but I've caught the same kind in Massachusetts before. Can someone please help me identify her....It looks like a Lasius Calviger to me, but i'm new to ant keeping, and i'm not sure if Lasius Calviger are native to those states. Here is the picture:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

aidan0616

Re: I need help with identifying a queen

Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:34 am

thanks, but do i need workers or just some pupae? And is it a Lasius Calviger queen or not?

antscanada
Main Forum Admin

Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:34 pm

aidan0616 wrote:thanks, but do i need workers or just some pupae? And is it a Lasius Calviger queen or not?
Probably not Lasius claviger, but this queen will not be useful to you without a host colony. You can let her go. Try looking up one of our videos on parasitic queens.
Ant Love Forever.

Rovvov99

Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:43 pm

aidan0616 wrote:thanks, but do i need workers or just some pupae? And is it a Lasius Calviger queen or not?
If you can dig up some pupae of a lasius colony outside with a few workers it can work, but most of the times it isn't succeful though. I tried it myself a few times with Lasius Umbratus and it didn't work, but you never know, maybe you'll succeed. If you are going to try it I suggest putting the workers in the fridge first and then intoduce the queen, that way their less aggressive.

aidan0616

Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:05 pm

Thanks for all your help guys, but sad to say, i woke up the next morning and she had already passed away :( . R.I.P Lasius sp. queen....