Tiny golden ant ID help

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

BleedingRaindrops

Tiny golden ant ID help

Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:24 pm

(I accidentally made a thread elsewhere before I realized I should put it here.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2348)

I was meeting with my life counselor last month and happened to notice a tiny golden dot scurrying around on her coffee table. I get excited by all sorts of tiny critters and I thought it was a mite or a small spider. But when I let my eyes adjust, I recognised the segmented body of an ant, as well as six legs extending from the thorax, and two little antennae from the head. I was amazed. The smallest ants I'd ever seen were a tetramorium species at 1.5mm. This little cutie is less than a milimeter long, I'd guess about o.5-0.8mm. I had to zoom all the way in with my camera and she was moving a lot so the picture is blurry, but here's what I got:
That's amazing. I found more and they're all that color, and just a few weeks ago I found one with wings. That one was about 1mm long. Crazy how small they are. Does anyone know what species this is? I'm on Okinawa, Japan. I'm really curious, and would love to raise a colony of these guys. Their color is just so beautiful.

I will try to find them again but they are very tiny and their pale color means they are difficult to spot.
They are all less than a millimeter (except for the alates I think, which are 1mm) and are a pale to golden yellow. They have comparatively large gasters and small thoraxes, but their most prominent feature is their long wide antennae. They are also quite fast for their size, crossing a distance of nearly two inches in just a second. I found this species on the island of Okinawa, southeast of Japan.

I thought they might be pharoah ants at first, but they lack the darkened gaster commonly seen in pharoah ants. The strongest contender native to Japan based on what I know about them is Plagiolepis alluaudi but I think I will need to find them again so I can take better pictures.
Ants kept
Nylanderia sp.
Camponotus sp.
Paratrechina Longicornis
Pheidole sp.

Odontomachus

Re: Tiny golden ant ID help

Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:19 am

We need much clearer pictures to get a proper ID.

BleedingRaindrops

Re: Tiny golden ant ID help

Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:57 am

Yeah, I figured you'd need better photos. I'm going to try to lure some out with a test tube of water once my order arrives. Maybe I'll get some better pictures then.
Ants kept
Nylanderia sp.
Camponotus sp.
Paratrechina Longicornis
Pheidole sp.