Moderator: ooper01

SYUTEO

Re: Help With a Confirmation Please

Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:04 pm

KionaKeychain wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:32 pm
SYUTEO wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:04 pm
That's the funniest ant naming mistake I've seen :lol: . D. gigas has it's own common name (giant forest ant) and resembles nothing like bullet ants (Paraponera clavata). D. gigas is black with a red gaster while P. clavata is completely black and sometimes brown or dark red. The two are not even closely related to each other and are named with completely different reasons so I have no idea how the company could mistake them. I don't know how you got your ants since they aren't native to your area and it's illegal to ship live queen ants to other countries without a permit (except in Europe).

Try putting the pictures on something like Imgur.com or Google drive and send the link here.
I think I set this Imgur link up correctly, your response is almost identical to my email to them, I still don’t feel like it’s a bullet ant, but the person who commented above you says it is. Hopefully someone can proved a resource link so I can find where that info is, we would also love to have a reputable source to get info from, as my son is learning about new things every day, and man oh man he has a bunch of questions 😅🤣

https://imgur.com/gallery/ukztkwg
That's definitely NOT a bullet ant but instead a giant forest ant, even where I live which also happens to be the same place your wet specimen ant is from, no one calls D. gigas 'bullet ants'. If you would like to learn more about these ants, here are some helpful links: https://entomologysingapore.wordpress.com/2018/03/03/the-giant-forest-ant-jewel-of-southeast-asia/#content, https://termitesandants.blogspot.com/2009/09/photos-of-malaysian-giant-ant.html

KionaKeychain

Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:33 pm

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:59 pm
Literly everyone selling them calls them bullet ants, but really they have a completly different common name :lol: also, how did you get them? Through what website?
Just so we’re clear, it’s a wet specimen, not a live ant- and it’s singular, just one ant. It’s from a company called Bic Bugs. It’s so weird that everyone is calling them Bullet ants but they’re not. It took me 5 minutes on the Internet to question their name, not to mention my 9 year old brought it to my attention. 🤦🏻‍♀️ I guess I’ll just list some elephants for sale and show up with flowers 🤷🏻‍♀️ That’s just what I feel like calling them now. Haha!

AntsAntsAnts

Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:55 am

KionaKeychain wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Literly everyone selling them calls them bullet ants, but really they have a completly different common name :lol: also, how did you get them? Through what website?
Just so we’re clear, it’s a wet specimen, not a live ant- and it’s singular, just one ant. It’s from a company called Bic Bugs. It’s so weird that everyone is calling them Bullet ants but they’re not. It took me 5 minutes on the Internet to question their name, not to mention my 9 year old brought it to my attention. 🤦🏻‍♀️ I guess I’ll just list some elephants for sale and show up with flowers 🤷🏻‍♀️ That’s just what I feel like calling them now. Haha!
no. they are complete different species
keeping:
all my queens died :(
got a sugar ant colony started :)

KionaKeychain

Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:52 am

AntsAntsAnts wrote:
KionaKeychain wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Yeah thanks! I was thinking that, the person at the company said it was a term used for many ants but I definitely don’t think that’s right.

AntsAntsAnts

Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:28 pm

KionaKeychain wrote:
AntsAntsAnts wrote:
KionaKeychain wrote:

Yeah thanks! I was thinking that, the person at the company said it was a term used for many ants but I definitely don’t think that’s right.
well tell them that they need to research more and actually know that carpenter ants and bullet ants are a complete different genus...
keeping:

KionaKeychain

Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:15 pm

AntsAntsAnts wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:28 pm
KionaKeychain wrote:
AntsAntsAnts wrote:

well tell them that they need to research more and actually know that carpenter ants and bullet ants are a complete different genus...
I did email them back about falsely advertising the specimens they’re selling, but feel free to send them some information of your own, if you feel so inclined. I don’t have the knowledge to provide them with (which is why I’m posting here in the first place) their Email is info@bicbugs.com and the representative/ employee I spoke to was named Marley. Lastly they also have social media if that’s your preferred method of contact. Their company is called BicBugs

SYUTEO

Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:03 pm

KionaKeychain wrote:
AntsAntsAnts wrote:
KionaKeychain wrote:

The term 'bullet ant' is usually used for Paraponera clavata due to their sting but some people also use it for Diacamma ants also because of their sting. However, I've been stung by them before but it doesn't hurt as much as I imagined, the pain was comparable to trap jaw ant sting and I would say that a termite soldier's bite (Macrotermes gilvus) is worse. You may not believe me but the sting area is still visible 4 months later.

AntsAntsAnts

Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:43 am

SYUTEO wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:03 pm
KionaKeychain wrote:
AntsAntsAnts wrote:

The term 'bullet ant' is usually used for Paraponera clavata due to their sting but some people also use it for Diacamma ants also because of their sting. However, I've been stung by them before but it doesn't hurt as much as I imagined, the pain was comparable to trap jaw ant sting and I would say that a termite soldier's bite (Macrotermes gilvus) is worse. You may not believe me but the sting area is still visible 4 months later.
You should've been stung by a bull ant... its hell
keeping: