Found some ants az

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

LaniLyne0106

Found some ants az

Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:40 pm

Found some what I believe to be harvester ants not too sure. Im located in the north eastern area of arizona and the surrounding habitat is juniper, pinyon pine forest with lots of scattered rocks and sandy clay soil. It was a little warmer today (day i found them) so they were out and about. The size (all sizes are approximate as I did not have a ruler on me) of the major I found was around 5-6mm long which was pretty big :!: while the workers were approximately 3-4mm long. I found them at their mound it was quite large and covered in tiny pieces of gravel, jasper, and quartz. Just curious of the species in my area :D
Pics: https://photos.app.goo.gl/YWomCB6iMVqV5bMF6minor shown in first video and three pics, major in the last three pics going from left to right.(sorry about voice in the vid)
➪ Ant Colonies
• Pogonomyrmex occidentalis colony
• 3 Camponotus Sansabeanus colonies
• Camponotus Vicinus
• 1 Formica Fusca
• 5 Liometopum apiculatum
• Pogonomyrmex Pima
• Pogonomyrmex Barbatus
• pheidole queen

SYUTEO

Re: Found some ants az

Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:54 am

Those are Big headed ants minors and a major. (Pheidole sp)

AntsAntsAnts

Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:25 pm

Yes, big headed ants. Though not sure of exact species
keeping:
all my queens died :(
got a sugar ant colony started :)

LaniLyne0106

Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:10 pm

I thought they were a pheidole.sp as well however for the most part the major of pheidoles have disproportionately large heads in relation to the size of its body. The major I have pictured has a large head but it’s more proportional than that of a pheidole. And the antennae are a lot longer than most pheidole ants I’ve seen
➪ Ant Colonies
• Camponotus Vicinus
• 1 Formica Fusca
• Pogonomyrmex Pima
• Pogonomyrmex Barbatus
• pheidole queen

SYUTEO

Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:39 pm

LaniLyne0106 wrote:
I thought they were a pheidole.sp as well however for the most part the major of pheidoles have disproportionately large heads in relation to the size of its body. The major I have pictured has a large head but it’s more proportional than that of a pheidole. And the antennae are a lot longer than most pheidole ants I’ve seen
Some Pheidole species are like that, the one you found probably belongs to a different species group than the ones you seen before.

LaniLyne0106

Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:36 pm

SYUTEO wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:39 pm
LaniLyne0106 wrote:
Some Pheidole species are like that, the one you found probably belongs to a different species group than the ones you seen before.
Makes sense i will be doing more research on pheidole species im sure there are some like the ones pictured, ones like you guys mentioned, thank you :)
➪ Ant Colonies
• Camponotus Vicinus
• 1 Formica Fusca
• Pogonomyrmex Pima
• Pogonomyrmex Barbatus
• pheidole queen