Could I be so lucky?

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

Ants101

Could I be so lucky?

Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:12 am

So about a month ago I stumbled across a Camponotus Queen and with the help of the forum members have had her identified as closely as possible. I’m pleased to report she’s doing very well and I do believe I have one larva just beginning pupa stage as there looks to be a cocoon in there so I’m extremely excited.

Here’s a photo of her just a day or so ago. Is that a cocoon?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1w2Q96gmiSFlh8eh2EpqWSPImPmxlMEbO/view?usp=drivesdk

Anyway last night I was making a snack in the kitchen and sitting on the wall right in front of me looked to be another small Queen. She still had her wings attached and I’m not very experienced and the ant was rather small in size so I thought it might be an alate. So I bottled her/him up and as soon as I did that the ant dropped its wings.

So on to the details and I would again ask and thank the forum members for their much valued and appreciated knowledge. If I was to hazard a guess I’d say Campontus consobrinus.

Date: 01/01/2022
Time: 7:00pm
Size: Approx 10mm

I apologise for the photos but she’s so damn small.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VgjJCtzN1_KQh8cXuKtAFryyETtqe5hp/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11TA2BRy70NUqWror4nA0GWgCSGgL6kEK/view?usp=drivesdk

AntsLuxembourg

Re: Could I be so lucky?

Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:26 am

Ants101 wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:12 am
So about a month ago I stumbled across a Camponotus Queen and with the help of the forum members have had her identified as closely as possible. I’m pleased to report she’s doing very well and I do believe I have one larva just beginning pupa stage as there looks to be a cocoon in there so I’m extremely excited.

Here’s a photo of her just a day or so ago. Is that a cocoon?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1w2Q96gmiSFlh8eh2EpqWSPImPmxlMEbO/view?usp=drivesdk

Anyway last night I was making a snack in the kitchen and sitting on the wall right in front of me looked to be another small Queen. She still had her wings attached and I’m not very experienced and the ant was rather small in size so I thought it might be an alate. So I bottled her/him up and as soon as I did that the ant dropped its wings.

So on to the details and I would again ask and thank the forum members for their much valued and appreciated knowledge. If I was to hazard a guess I’d say Campontus consobrinus.

Date: 01/01/2022
Time: 7:00pm
Size: Approx 10mm

I apologise for the photos but she’s so damn small.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VgjJCtzN1_KQh8cXuKtAFryyETtqe5hp/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11TA2BRy70NUqWror4nA0GWgCSGgL6kEK/view?usp=drivesdk
Nice pictures. First I'm happy your initial queen is doing good. It also looks to me like the queen has 2 puppae / cocoons. So you are even luckier. ;)
Btw it's just a good guess since I doubt that ants make cocoons that look like to jelly beans that somehow fused together.

For the second and third picture, I'm not a professional in regards to Ant IDing, but I would say it looks like camponotus to me. My reasoning for this is the thorax that looks like that of a camponodus queen. I could however also be mistaken. The wing shedding might not mean anything. Sometimes unfertilized queens just drop their wings just like some queens keep their wings until they either wither away or fall off or get shredded into pieces. So it's up to you if you want to try and see if she is going to lay eggs and grow a colony. In any case I would prepare a new testtube for her. ;)
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.

Ants101

Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:58 am

Hello. ;)
There’s so much material out there it’s difficult to know where to focus one’s attention and I didn’t know that about the wing shedding so thank you. Holy cow I can’t even believe she is progressing so well and it actually feels very humbling to experience first hand.

I went shopping first thing in the morning and sorted a new test tube so she’s happily enjoying her new chamber as we speak so I will definitely proceed with her and see what develops. I suppose it’s simply a waiting game now. It’s brood or burial.

SYUTEO

Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:26 pm

You're not just lucky, you're EXTREMELY lucky!

Your Camponotus queen has one cocoon but what makes you even luckier is the fact that both pictures of the new queen you caught is a Colobopsis sp! Colobopsis is rare and hard to find.

SolenopsisKeeper

Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:38 pm

SYUTEO wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:26 pm
You're not just lucky, you're EXTREMELY lucky!

Your Camponotus queen has one cocoon but what makes you even luckier is the fact that both pictures of the new queen you caught is a Colobopsis sp! Colobopsis is rare and hard to find.
True. I found none all season despite seeing tons of colonies of C. Impressa.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

Ants101

Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:28 am

I really have no idea how lucky I am but about 5 mins after posting the last comment I went into the kitchen and there was another one on the ceiling. I’m like are you kidding me?! Already had a spare test tube so I grabbed her.

Thanks very much for the I.D
I’ll put the research in tonight.

SolenopsisKeeper

Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:12 am

Ants101 wrote:
I really have no idea how lucky I am but about 5 mins after posting the last comment I went into the kitchen and there was another one on the ceiling. I’m like are you kidding me?! Already had a spare test tube so I grabbed her.

At that point I would be scared of infestation xd

AntsLuxembourg

Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:03 am

Ants101 wrote:

Maybe share a picture just so we can have a look on this beauty as well. :)
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.

Ants101

Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:04 pm

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Ants101 wrote:

Heheh I live in Australia, the entire country is an infestation. :lol:

SolenopsisKeeper

Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:09 pm

Ants101 wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:04 pm
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Ants101 wrote:

Heheh I live in Australia, the entire country is an infestation. :lol:
Liek Florida. Name a general type of ants,
Carpenter, leaf cutter, fire, and it goes on and on and on. Fire ants are overrunning the entire USA Becuase they populate so freaking quick! A colony I dug up immediately layed 50+ eggs first few hours… that many under stress… how many at optimum….