Could I be so lucky?

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

Ants101

Re: Could I be so lucky?

Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:15 pm

Maybe share a picture just so we can have a look on this beauty as well. :)
Absolutely, it would be my pleasure.

Here is the first Colobopsis that shed her wings.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YZwuAnnKvUAYtrbN12YwPFrKIaFkiZOO/view?usp=drivesdk

Here is the second alate I found soon after. She’s not shed her wings at this point.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qhJ7cjwER4dJGh0thNBB02uVqep3YCPY/view?usp=drivesdk

Again I apologise for the picture quality. I’m not set up for these small fauna.

Ants101

Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:25 pm

That’s absolutely incredible to say the least. Australia has recently seen in influx of fire ants also. It’s a very serious environmental concern for us as I imagine for any country. To be honest Ive not even seen one.

AntsLuxembourg

Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:47 am

I love the pictures. Even if they aren't detailed, the ants depicted still look beautiful. :)
Thx for sharing.

About the fireants, I only hope that they will not invade the europe, because it seems as if the weather is currently going very beneficial for them. :/
It rarely gets colder than -1°C (0°C is when water freezer for °F people) here in Luxembourg.
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.

SolenopsisKeeper

Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:08 am

AntsLuxembourg wrote:
I love the pictures. Even if they aren't detailed, the ants depicted still look beautiful. :)
Thx for sharing.

About the fireants, I only hope that they will not invade the europe, because it seems as if the weather is currently going very beneficial for them. :/
It rarely gets colder than -1°C (0°C is when water freezer for °F people) here in Luxembourg.
I watched some docu mentary and it said fire ants can live as cold as -13 degrees Fahrenheit
By 2030 fire ants will be EVERYWHERE :?

Moderation Note: I changed Docu mentary due to the word filter.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

SYUTEO

Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:53 pm

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
AntsLuxembourg wrote:
Thx for sharing.

I watched some docu mentary and it said fire ants can live as cold as -13 degrees Fahrenheit

Are you sure that's true? Fire ants are usually tropical ants.

SolenopsisKeeper

Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:22 pm

SYUTEO wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
AntsLuxembourg wrote:
Thx for sharing.

It’s onyl in wild bc they burrow deep I think. I may be misunderstood, but pretty positive. I know it is negative according to them. It was something to do with MIT, and robotics using fire ants. The fire ants have Chicago. Also, they will probably inhabit countries that drops well below that, by moving into human structures. I am telling you, there is no getting rid of them.

SolenopsisKeeper

Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:37 pm

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
SYUTEO wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:

It’s onyl in wild bc they burrow deep I think. I may be misunderstood, but pretty positive. I know it is negative according to them. It was something to do with MIT, and robotics using fire ants. The fire ants have Chicago. Also, they will probably inhabit countries that drops well below that, by moving into human structures. I am telling you, there is no getting rid of them.
I meant Celsius.

AntsAntsAnts

Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:21 am

As I am in Australia, I can confirm that the queens are colobopsis but I am worried if ur house is timber because it could signify a colony in your house. If ur fine with that, okay, I'm okay with it too. I have two pavement and one cromatergaster ant colony in my house, so I guess I can't complain. Also, I have never seen a fire ant colony here, so, i don't know. I have seen pheidole ants
keeping:
all my queens died :(
got a sugar ant colony started :)

SYUTEO

Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:09 am

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
SYUTEO wrote:

I meant Celsius.
Even then it rarely gets that cold in the tropics unless you live in a freezer or on the summit of a very tall mountain.

SolenopsisKeeper

Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:21 am

SYUTEO wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:09 am
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:

I meant Celsius.
Even then it rarely gets that cold in the tropics unless you live in a freezer or on the summit of a very tall mountain.
I don’t know how they do it. It’s -10 C that they survive at, and I do believe it does snow in some of there native habitats. They do need there dirt tunnels, however. They apparently block off entrances, dig deep and chill.