Black Queen Ant - Victoria, Australia - Captured 29/10

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

SenorSalsa

Black Queen Ant - Victoria, Australia - Captured 29/10

Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:51 am

Hey AntsCanada Forum,

I found this queen as a dealate in a rather unfortunate position at work about a week ago, I currently have her in a test-tube setup, however not knowing the species of ant, I'd hate to give her the incorrect care.

Size: Roughly 9-12mm

Date: 29/10/2016

Photos:

From my amateur research, to me, she looks similar to be a Lasius Niger Queen, however sources are conflicting about whether or not these ants actually exist in Australia.

I can try to get better images if these are not adequate however I have disturbed her more than I'd like in the last few days and would rather leave her be. This is the first queen I've had and I welcome the opportunity to raise a colony any additional advice would be great.

Many Thanks, Salsa.

Serafine

Re: Black Queen Ant - Victoria, Australia - Captured 29/10

Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:37 am

From what I know Lasius niger doesn't exist in Australia, but who knows in these times. Also Lasius niger gasters are usually bigger at the stem and slightly curved making them look a bit like Cashews, but then I'm by no means an expert and Australian Lasius might look different anyway.

Batspiderfish

Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:35 am

Australia doesn't have Lasius.

This is a formicine queen, possibly Camponotus? More photographs in better lighting would help.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

SenorSalsa

Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:50 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:Australia doesn't have Lasius.

This is a formicine queen, possibly Camponotus? More photographs in better lighting would help.
Thanks for your reply, I'll get some more photos later today.

SenorSalsa

Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:01 am

I managed to get a few more close up photos, I was limited by the setup however as it does partially obscure the queen.

SenorSalsa

Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:31 pm

Thanks to all who replied, I recently met with another AC fan who was able to identify her as a meat ant queen (Iridomyrmex purpureus) which can be a fairly aggressive species, so any tips would appreciated.

Batspiderfish

Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:36 pm

She is not Iridomyrmex, because she has an acidepore, which places her in the Formicinae subfamily.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

SenorSalsa

Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:33 pm

Perhaps you have a better trained eye than I, but I'm not able to make out an acidopore, particularly from the photos.

She does however bear similarities to a sugar ant queen, another common species in my area, a camponotus species.

Canadiananter

Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:54 pm

Camponotus sp