Carpenter Ants

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

AntyBoi

Carpenter Ants

Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:00 pm

I recently caught a queen carpenter ant during her nuptial flight and am hoping to start a colony with her, however I don't know what species she is. They are black carpenter ants that seem pretty passive towards other colonies and that reside in Michigan. Even though it's getting cold enough outside to lightly hail, they've started their nuptial flights. I hope this information will help in identifying them. I can't get too much of a close up shot with my phone, but i tried my best to get a picture of one of the queens. (nevermind, my image file is too big (¯―¯٥) if anyone knows a way to post images, that would be great information, thank you)

SYUTEO

Re: Carpenter Ants

Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:17 pm

Ants get more passive when it's colder. You can upload your images to something like Imgur and post the link here.

AntsAntsAnts

Re: Carpenter Ants

Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:17 am

AntyBoi wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:00 pm
I recently caught a queen carpenter ant during her nuptial flight and am hoping to start a colony with her, however I don't know what species she is. They are black carpenter ants that seem pretty passive towards other colonies and that reside in Michigan. Even though it's getting cold enough outside to lightly hail, they've started their nuptial flights. I hope this information will help in identifying them. I can't get too much of a close up shot with my phone, but i tried my best to get a picture of one of the queens. (nevermind, my image file is too big (¯―¯٥) if anyone knows a way to post images, that would be great information, thank you)
you can use imgur to upload images
keeping:
all my queens died :(
got a sugar ant colony started :)