I got some better pictures

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

Newcolonyontheblock

I got some better pictures

Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:05 pm

Hi guys! I uploaded some pictures of my two new ant colonies a few days ago. I've been struggling to get a clear picture of them unfortunately but at the very least these are clearer than the last time. I brightened both images slightly and I'll put the links below. I found both of them right around early July of this year and last time you guys suggested they might be Lasius Americanus but I can't help but wonder if the ants in the second photo might be some sort of Formica species because she looks a heck of a lot like some Formica queens I've seen on google. The other thing is that the queen ant in the first picture stung me when I first found her. Do Lasius ants have stingers? I'll definitely find a way to get some perfectly clear pictures as the colonies get bigger but for the time being what do you guys think they might be with these clearer pictures? Lasius Americanus both of them? The second queen is about twice the size of the first.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Jpf4cqR-7Rjja3VDk9M_oiILtf-ozZ6_/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NhQ5m9hvvHPi8ukOBVX00HWDfXJ9FQuR/view?usp=sharing

SYUTEO

Re: I got some better pictures

Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:40 pm

They're both Lasius. Lasius don't have stingers so she probably bit you instead.

Newcolonyontheblock

Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:02 pm

SYUTEO wrote:
They're both Lasius. Lasius don't have stingers so she probably bit you instead.
Great to know! Now I can be sure how to care for them best and what setup to get for them eventually! It does make sense she actually bit me, I even remember her hunching over to do it now that I think about it.

helendarack

Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:27 am

You're doing a very interesting job, I really think so. I am a biologist myself, and I always wonder what exactly I see in a particular country. I even installed special applications on my phone in order to determine the type of certain plants or insects, as I wanted to learn more interesting information about them. As for your question, I can advise you on the picture enlarger service on https://depositphotos.com/upscaler.html, since this is what I always use in such situations. The only thing I want to warn you is that there are a lot of poisonous ants, and you should be very careful from now on when you see their families

AM1C39

Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:46 am

Apps that identifie species are usually not very acurate and poisonous is not the right term, try venomous.
My current colonies:
-Miniature Military(formica neogagates)
-Black Hearts(crematogaster cerasi)
In search of new camponotus colony
[Have a look at antmaps.org]

AntsAntsAnts

Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:22 am

Newcolonyontheblock wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:02 pm
SYUTEO wrote:
Great to know! Now I can be sure how to care for them best and what setup to get for them eventually! It does make sense she actually bit me, I even remember her hunching over to do it now that I think about it.
it seems to me that they are formica or lasius. however, the workers are suspiciously similar to crematogaster
keeping:
all my queens died :(
got a sugar ant colony started :)