new queen

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

CombinedHalo467

new queen

Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:46 pm

im really excited after 2 of my 3 camponotus queens died i caught a new queen on the handle of my rake she is really small (about half a centimeter) that is small for me i put her in a test tube but im worried that its way too big for her. She is red with some brown on her and has no wings i live in the midwest i didnt realize queens were still flying but i guess they are. Any info on a genus or sp. would help a lot so then i can give her better care (if i can) thank you. :D
A prenolepis imparis colony with repletes and a big queen also 10 chickens and 1 annoying brother.

Ants Are Awesome

AntsLuxembourg

Re: new queen

Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:47 am

Do you have perhaps a picture of her? Also half a cm is very small.
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.

antnest8

Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:22 am

CombinedHalo467 wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:46 pm
im really excited after 2 of my 3 camponotus queens died i caught a new queen on the handle of my rake she is really small (about half a centimeter) that is small for me i put her in a test tube but im worried that its way too big for her. She is red with some brown on her and has no wings i live in the midwest i didnt realize queens were still flying but i guess they are. Any info on a genus or sp. would help a lot so then i can give her better care (if i can) thank you. :D
In August Wisconsin? It's probably in the genus of Lasius, either Neoniger or a social parisite. However this is just a guess so PLEASE SEND A PICTURE because that is the only way an actual identification can be made.

How to post pictures ---> https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=162
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum

CombinedHalo467

Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:23 pm

Im sorry but I let her go a while ago as I needed the test tube for other purposes but what was strange was that she was only a cuple of mm long but was definatley a queen.
A prenolepis imparis colony with repletes and a big queen also 10 chickens and 1 annoying brother.

Ants Are Awesome