Tiny black queen

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

Gardener

Tiny black queen

Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:48 pm

This is the only one of its kind I have found. It's been in captivity for about two weeks. I found it in Rhode Island. There is a mm ruler in the photo for scale.

My guess is Formica because of the position of the eyes. Any guesses from the experienced ant ppl?

https://imgur.com/a/mevcVjr

SYUTEO

Re: Tiny black queen

Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:23 am

Monomorium sp, Formica queens don't have two petiole nodes, only Myrmicinae ants have two. Formica is a Formicinae ant.

Gardener

Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:09 pm

Hey SYUTEO,

So I took a closer look at this ant.The initial post doesn't show much detail and there is what I believe a critical piece missing that can help identify the ant.

The original pic does, as you said, have the postpetiole node --- but it does not reveal what I think is a propodeal spine. When I took the original and cropped it, you can now see in this link: https://imgur.com/a/82d1vaK

So, I have this book that tells me that tiny ants without a propodeal spine but with two petiole nodes, it would be Monomorium (or local native Solenopsis).

But with the visible propodeal spine now I'm guessing this is Stenamma species. And I'll be so bold as to guess it's a Stenamma brevicorne based on its size!!

The book is called Field Guide to the Ants of New England by Yale Press.. I'm absolutely loosing my mind.

SYUTEO

Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:11 pm

From all the information you have, I believe it's either Temnothorax or Myrmecina.