Help needed to identify a queen ant

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

Kailas

Help needed to identify a queen ant

Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:27 am

Found this queen ant in the woods on a trail. Anyone know what kind of ant this is? it's about 1cm in length approximately. Thanks!

https://imgur.com/a/E03anZw

SYUTEO

Re: Help needed to identify a queen ant

Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:53 am

A slave making Formica species, very likely Formica aserva. And it looks like she lost both of her antennae. I guess you should release her because she lost both of her antennae and that means she couldn't smell anything and will most likely die.

Kailas

Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:55 pm

Thank you for the help in identifying her! Actually she has one of her antenna, and the other is half gone.. Do you think it's worth keeping her to see if she can start a colony? If not, I'll just let her go back in the woods. Here's a better shot to see her antenna https://imgur.com/a/u5Q2jNE

SYUTEO

Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:27 pm

You can try but it's extremely hard. I don't know much about their care but here's all the info I can give you: You need to give her pupae of her host, without hosts she will die (callows (newly eclosed workers also work). Even if you did give her hosts, she still might not survive. You can also feed her a small drop of honey. Then, hopefully she will lay eggs and the workers will take care of her and her eggs, you also need to constantly give her new hosts in order for her to successfully found a colony.