Help me with queen id

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

texmaspro

Re: Help me with queen id

Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:02 am

yes it looks like a solenopsis fugax and i think the workers will arrive between june 25 and july 4th
colonies:
camponotus atriceps

Good2Know15

Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:20 pm

texmaspro wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:29 am
I was walking in the park and then i noticed some like clouds of mosquitoes i soom realized they were ants i managed to capture 2 queens one hase no wings and the other has but i saw her mating with a male ant so i think she is fertile i think the queens are solenopsis fugax, monomorium minimum or tetramorium .
But im not sure and i want to be 100% sure what is the species of my queen ant
Hi, idk what all these people are about but this is clearly not a Solenopsis queen. It looks rather either like Tetramorium semilaeve or Pheidole pallidula (if caught in the south of Europe). My best guess is Pheidole pallidula; it's the perfect time of the year for them to start flying now. Queens vary in colour from almost fully black to orange and reddish. Queens always have yellowish legs with the underside of their gaster being also yellowish. Pheidole pallidula are strictly monogynous. Only in several regions, mainly in Greece, colonies may consist of several queens and thus be polygynous. Pheidole pallidula have tiny minors and tiny majors with much bigger heads, which usually start appear every 40-50 minors. Make sure you keep them warm and always fed, they eat a lot and will grow fast if kept well!
Also known as Ants_Netherlands18 on Instagram

Keeper of:
I have kept 48 species of 18 different genera of ants over the course of 3.5 years of antkeeping :)

For species ID, feel free to message me privately!

texmaspro

Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:56 pm

i caught it in mexico i live there
colonies:
camponotus atriceps

texmaspro

Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:08 pm

and i think it cant be pheidole phallidula because of the size pheidole phalidulla queens mesure 8 mm or 7 mm this queen is like 6 mm and pheidole doesnt live in my country
colonies:
camponotus atriceps

texmaspro

Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:35 pm

but uhm solenopsis fugax isnt documented as native soo...
colonies:
camponotus atriceps

Slhuston1

Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:33 pm

I reside in Missouri and I found this queen wondering around this evening. She’s light brown with maybe a hint of orange and she is about an inch long. Biggest queen ant I’ve ever seen! Would you happen to know what I may have?

texmaspro

Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:59 am

can you send a photo of her?
colonies:
camponotus atriceps

texmaspro

Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:03 am

Good2Know15 wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:20 pm
texmaspro wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:29 am
I was walking in the park and then i noticed some like clouds of mosquitoes i soom realized they were ants i managed to capture 2 queens one hase no wings and the other has but i saw her mating with a male ant so i think she is fertile i think the queens are solenopsis fugax, monomorium minimum or tetramorium .
But im not sure and i want to be 100% sure what is the species of my queen ant
Hi, idk what all these people are about but this is clearly not a Solenopsis queen. It looks rather either like Tetramorium semilaeve or Pheidole pallidula (if caught in the south of Europe). My best guess is Pheidole pallidula; it's the perfect time of the year for them to start flying now. Queens vary in colour from almost fully black to orange and reddish. Queens always have yellowish legs with the underside of their gaster being also yellowish. Pheidole pallidula are strictly monogynous. Only in several regions, mainly in Greece, colonies may consist of several queens and thus be polygynous. Pheidole pallidula have tiny minors and tiny majors with much bigger heads, which usually start appear every 40-50 minors. Make sure you keep them warm and always fed, they eat a lot and will grow fast if kept well!
but when the nanitics arrive it will be easier to indentify the species
colonies:
camponotus atriceps

texmaspro

Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:56 am

hello everybody i have bad news and good news

the bad news are that my 2 unidentified queens sadly died :(

but the good news are that i caught a wild fire ant colony! (solenopsis invicta) :D
colonies:
camponotus atriceps

texmaspro

Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:58 am

i think it could be solenopsis geminata because it native where i live . can u help me identify them? ill send a photo
colonies:
camponotus atriceps