Found with Little Black Ants

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

SunsetBridge

Found with Little Black Ants

Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:36 pm

This is a bit of a long post because it explains my situation, and attempts to justify what I did. If you don't care about that and just wanna skip to what I need identified, skip to the bolded part.

So, I am completely new to ant keeping, and while I am looking for ants more suitable for being kept (I know there is a Carpenter Ant nest somewhere in my backyard, so I'm waiting for their nuptial flight to find a queen then), but I ended up digging up a Little Black Ant nest near my house (in the plot they were on, there was a house that was going to be constructed, so their nest would have likely been filled with concrete or destroyed during the construction), and I dug down about a foot (after around two hours of carefully sifting through dirt, sand, workers, and brood) and found this. I have no clue what it is, and my research turned up nothing. For all I know, it's a normal worker larvae or it's not even an ant, but I thought I would turn to this forum for help because I am completely clueless.

AM1C39

Re: Found with Little Black Ants

Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:07 pm

That is definitely not an ant larvae or pupae, it is some other kind of insect pupae maybe a cicada.
My current colonies:
-Miniature Military(formica neogagates)
-Black Hearts(crematogaster cerasi)
In search of new camponotus colony
[Have a look at antmaps.org]

SolenopsisKeeper

Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:50 am

uisdudha wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:38 pm
SunsetBridge wrote:
This is a bit of a long post because it explains my situation, and attempts to justify what I did. If you don't care about that and just wanna skip to what I need identified, skip to the bolded part.

Sohttps://thoptvpc.com/potplayer-crack/ I am completely new to ant keeping, and while I am looking for ants more suitable for being kept (I know there is a Carpenter Ant nest somewhere in my backyard, so I'm waiting for their nuptial flight to find a queen then), but I ended up digging up a Little Black Ant nest near my house (in the plot they were on, there was a house that was going to be constructed, so their nest would have likely been filled with concrete or destroyed during the construction), and I dug down about a foot (after around two hours of carefully sifting through dirt, sand, workers, and brood) and found this. I have no clue what it is, and my research turned up nothing. For all I know, it's a normal worker larvae or it's not even an ant, but I thought I would turn to this forum for help because I am completely clueless.

Yeah I'm wondering this too. Trying to export a map.
Seems like a beetle or something similar.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

AntsAntsAnts

Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:31 pm

SunsetBridge wrote:

So, I am completely new to ant keeping, and while I am looking for ants more suitable for being kept (I know there is a Carpenter Ant nest somewhere in my backyard, so I'm waiting for their nuptial flight to find a queen then), but I ended up digging up a Little Black Ant nest near my house (in the plot they were on, there was a house that was going to be constructed, so their nest would have likely been filled with concrete or destroyed during the construction), and I dug down about a foot (after around two hours of carefully sifting through dirt, sand, workers, and brood) and found this. I have no clue what it is, and my research turned up nothing. For all I know, it's a normal worker larvae or it's not even an ant, but I thought I would turn to this forum for help because I am completely clueless.

It's any cocoon BUT an ant's
keeping:
all my queens died :(
got a sugar ant colony started :)

SolenopsisKeeper

Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:02 am

faizanmazhar00 wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:12 am
SunsetBridge wrote:

So, I am completely new to ant keeping, and while I am looking for ants more suitable for being kept https://ativadors.com/gta-san-andreas-pc-download-crackeado/(I know there is a Carpenter Ant nest somewhere in my backyard, so I'm waiting for their nuptial flight to find a queen then), but I ended up digging up a Little Black Ant nest near my house (in the plot they were on, there was a house that was going to be constructed, so their nest would have likely been filled with concrete or destroyed during the construction), and I dug down about a foot (after around two hours of carefully sifting through dirt, sand, workers, and brood) and found this. I have no clue what it is, and my research turned up nothing. For all I know, it's a normal worker larvae or it's not even an ant, but I thought I would turn to this forum for help because I am completely clueless.

I can’t say about the ants, but it is clearly an insect cocoon, as you can see what looks like a wasp abdomen and 6 legs, and 2 eyes.

AntsAntsAnts

Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:21 pm

maybe a cicada? but cicada season ended so... maybe some beetle? it has no wings that I can see so probably not a wasp or a bee. Anyways, the shape is too round
keeping:
all my queens died :(
got a sugar ant colony started :)

SolenopsisKeeper

Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:23 pm

AntsAntsAnts wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:21 pm
maybe a cicada? but cicada season ended so... maybe some beetle? it has no wings that I can see so probably not a wasp or a bee. Anyways, the shape is too round
Yea. I think a beatle who might have possibly eaten part of the colonies brood, then pupated right in front of them.

AntsLuxembourg

Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:04 am

Looks a bit like a butterfly / moth puppae. But I'm no expert.
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.

SolenopsisKeeper

Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:07 pm

AntsLuxembourg wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:04 am
Looks a bit like a butterfly / moth puppae. But I'm no expert.
It has a pointed gaster, so maybe a large moth?

Antloverhuman

Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:32 pm

Its too fat to be a moth.. i think it would have hatched by now
Ants I have-
camponotus compressus colony- the shadow warriors.
Pls just let me have a tetramorium colony