Does anyone know this species?

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

Jeseee

Does anyone know this species?

Mon May 31, 2021 6:10 pm

My dad just found this ant by our back door (without wings) and so I was just wondering if you could identify it.

-about 1/2 inch or 12.7 mm
(I live in New York so that might help with the species)
-longer abdomen and black in color
-looks like a camponautus queen 👑
My dad said that he doesn’t want me keeping carpenter ants 🐜 in or near the house because they make holes in the wood. So if this is a carpenter ant queen I’ll just let it go outside after a few weeks so it has eggs and workers for help.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dld0U2jdVUeR0V2-dO3JvxULufddHm94xsuJ00nj5v8/edit

bugging3out

Re: Does anyone know this species?

Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:02 am

Yeah its a camponotus queen. Well this may help to convince your dad of keeping it. If you put them in a secured test tube or formicarium they wont escape and will not chew through wood. They don't consume wood either. And carpenter ants don't have to nest in wood they just prefer it since they are too big for dirt. They like formicariums and test tubes. Not normal ant farms. Since they are too big for them. Good luck ask me any questions if you’d like i have been keeping ants for 1 year and 1 month so i am quite experienced. And also have not had Any carpenter ants in my wooden closets! Lol lol! I also live in New York!

Best, Bugging3out
Why did I even make a signature if I am just gonna say this.