Zagreb/Croatia/June

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

KristijanVelja

Zagreb/Croatia/June

Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:10 am

Hey! I caught this queen in June, I don't remember the exact date, but it was somewhere from 20th to 30th of June, the pictures aren't the greatest sorry about that. I hope it will be enough to determine the type of species.
EDIT: For some reason I couldn't upload the pictures, I hope imgur will be good: https://imgur.com/a/AD7RNNA

Hawkeye

Re: Zagreb/Croatia/June

Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:53 am

KristijanVelja wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:10 am
Hey! I caught this queen in June, I don't remember the exact date, but it was somewhere from 20th to 30th of June, the pictures aren't the greatest sorry about that. I hope it will be enough to determine the type of species.
EDIT: For some reason I couldn't upload the pictures, I hope imgur will be good: https://imgur.com/a/AD7RNNA
Hi there!

Just a quick tip: Since you've got an imgur account, you can very easily copy the BBCode and past it into your next post, to display pictures with your messages. The forum itself doesn't allow you to upload pictures (even though it gives you the option to) as that would likely immediately flood the servers with GB of data.

Unfortunately the quality of your pictures is not good enough to make out the details, but am I right in assuming your queen is about 2cm? Does she look anything like this?
If that is the case, she's a Camponotus vagus a Carpenter ant species which is active mostly year round. They are less active in the winter months, but they don't really hibernate. I have a starting colony of them myself.

KristijanVelja

Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:51 pm

Hey there! Sorry for the late reply... The picture you sent matched her look and yes she is around 2cm, I've looked around the internet to see how the worker ants looked and they too match! My apologies for the quality of the pictures, I wish I had a better camera. You saved me the trouble of looking around the internet about their hibernation, so am I right to assume that with this species hibernation is optional? Also thanks for the tip on imgur I'll be sure to remember that one. Again thanks for taking your time to help me.

Hawkeye

Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:04 pm

KristijanVelja wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:51 pm
Hey there! Sorry for the late reply... The picture you sent matched her look and yes she is around 2cm, I've looked around the internet to see how the worker ants looked and they too match! My apologies for the quality of the pictures, I wish I had a better camera. You saved me the trouble of looking around the internet about their hibernation, so am I right to assume that with this species hibernation is optional? Also thanks for the tip on imgur I'll be sure to remember that one. Again thanks for taking your time to help me.
It's not optional as in up to you lol. The ants will slow down, but not completely shut down over the winter months.