ID Reno NV September queen

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

Zombiie

ID Reno NV September queen

Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:17 pm

I think she may be a fire ant but her head is massive (i'm a first time ant keeper and I DON'T WANT A FIRE ANT QUEEN)

she was caught today at 5:13 pm 9/25/2016
I cannot measure her (i'm very bad at math and other measurement stuff even with measure tape)
✧✦✧✦Nevada Ant Keeper✧✦✧✦
✦Currently owned✦

Batspiderfish

Re: ID Reno NV September queen

Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:22 pm

Agreed.

FYI, do not abbreviate species names. Pogonomyrmex sp.

spp. stands for "species pluralis" which would imply that this queen is more than one species.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Zombiie

Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:24 pm

I'm just happy that its not a Solenopsis.
I looked up that they do sting but are they a good beginner ant?
✦Currently owned✦

Zombiie

Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:29 pm

Darn ,I'll see if I can keep her but I don't know...I am planning on going out again today when its a bit darker (it's September but its still pretty hot here in Nevada)
✦Currently owned✦

Batspiderfish

Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:31 pm

Zombiie wrote:I'm just happy that its not a Solenopsis.
Pogonomyrmex probably have one of the most painful stings out of all ants in the United States, but they aren't dangerous unless you are allergic (which applies to every stinging ant). Their workers have been the mail-order inhabitants of the Uncle Milton ant farms for decades.

Read up on how other people have kept these ants, and you should be fine. Anybody can keep a relatively difficult species if they do their research. My first queen was the social parasite, Lasius umbratus.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

AntLove5Ever

Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:38 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:
Pogonomyrmex probably have one of the most painful stings out of all ants in the United States, but they aren't dangerous unless you are allergic (which applies to every stinging ant). Their workers have been the mail-order inhabitants of the Uncle Milton ant farms for decades.

Read up on how other people have kept these ants, and you should be fine. Anybody can keep a relatively difficult species if they do their research. My first queen was the social parasite, Lasius umbratus.

Agreed

Zombiie

Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:03 pm

Thank you I will do my research!
✦Currently owned✦

AntLove5Ever

Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:10 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:

How, did you not need a different colony in order to introduce her to?

Batspiderfish

Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:10 pm

AntLove5Ever wrote:
Batspiderfish wrote:

How, did you not need a different colony in order to introduce her to?
I caught her Lasius alienus host workers and some larvae under a wood pile, then put them in the fridge. The queen was adopted by the workers and she produced a great colony before I lost her in a hibernation mishap. I miss her. :(

I do have another Lasius umbratus queen who is laying eggs, so hopefully she will get that first worker out and start another colony. I also have a Lasius minutus queen in a tube with some Lasius alienus callows, Lasius latipes alive (for now) with Lasius nearcticus host workers, and am waiting on some callow Lasius alienus to eclose for my Lasius speculiventris. I'm pretty into social parasites, and now I get most of my host workers from my five-year-old Lasius alienus colony. :D