New giant ant queen cought today in EU

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

Vataes

New giant ant queen cought today in EU

Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:42 am

Hello everyone,

New to this forum but following you on youtube for at least a year and started my own colonies thanks to you! :) You are awesome!

I have cought a new giant ant queen that i am a little scared of and i do not know what type/species and how to take care of it. Can you help me please? At the moment only my finger in the backround is as referrence.

Hawkeye

Re: New giant ant queen cought today in EU

Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:31 am

Vataes wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:42 am
Hello everyone,

New to this forum but following you on youtube for at least a year and started my own colonies thanks to you! :) You are awesome!

I have cought a new giant ant queen that i am a little scared of and i do not know what type/species and how to take care of it. Can you help me please? At the moment only my finger in the backround is as referrence.
Hi Vataes!

If you upload your pictures to imgur.com you can copy the BBCode and paste it into the text of your next post, to display pictures. Clear, detailed pictures are of course preferable. A good sideview and topview will make identification easier. It sounds like you found a Carpenter ant, but that's just a guess at this point.

Vataes

Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:31 pm

Hello Hawkeye,

Thanks for the reply. I have manged to get home and upload better quality pictures. ( I don't have a very good zoom camera - used my phone as best as i could :)) )

As i am typing on my PC now it's easier to describe a bit the area where i caught them as well.

Location: Valea Mare Pravat, Romania ( https://goo.gl/maps/rvhphwsx1R6qYQt8A )
Date: 06/06/2020 around 14:00 PM
Weather: 2 days after rainy some rainy days, on a full sunny day
Specific Location: The big ones i caught on a dry hill, around a lot of big black ants with red thoraxes (i think). The small one i caught in my garden, close to a lot of trees, in shade, climbing an apple tree.

Behaviour: The big one is very very lazy! I mean, i barely managed to get her into a test tube. The winged one is super agile and active, trying to get the cotton out of the test tube. The 2 small ones are agile and active. I hope the winged one managed to mate and can lay eggs.

I photographed all of them close to a meter so maybe it can help.

For all of them i would love some tips and tricks. Do i need to feed them now or leave them untouched for several weeks? What type of formicarium should i build them? What kind of nutrition do they need? Same as my other 3 Lasius Niger colonies, honey and protein?

Here are the photoes:

Hawkeye

Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:44 pm

Not sure about the small one, but the large one is definitely a Carpenter queen.

If she's as lethargic as you said, you might want to offer her a droplet of honey, to boost her energy levels. Use a toothpick to have better control of the size.

Hawkeye

Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:07 pm

You're probably better suited to make the identification as you can see her with the ***** eye.
Would you say she looks like this?

Vataes

Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:41 pm

Yup, looks similar. I was thinking it would be a Camponotus Vagus.

What about the winged one. Any ideas?

Hawkeye

Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:12 pm

Vataes wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:41 pm
Yup, looks similar. I was thinking it would be a Camponotus Vagus.

What about the winged one. Any ideas?
Well I actually have a vagus queen myself. The one in the picture is ligniperda. I had that species myself before too.

Do you have more detailed pictures of the ants? More close up

Vataes

Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:43 pm

I've placed them safe and dont want to disturb them of not needed. They should be kept alone for a while right?