Ant Queen Identification

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

AntsIndiana5

Ant Queen Identification

Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:41 am

Hello, my names Tyler and I'm new to ant keeping. I recently caught my first queen ants! :D . The first ant is really small she is around 2 to 3 millimeters, I caught her in my back yard in Jeffersonville, Indiana it was around the 20th of May when I caught her. The next queen I caught is bigger around 5 millimeters, I caught her in a forest in Washington County on the 25th of May. But sadly she died a week later for some reason, I don't know why :(. But I would still like to identify her.
Ants are the coolest ;)

Hawkeye

Re: Ant Queen Identification

Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:03 am

AntsIndiana5 wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:41 am
Hello, my names Tyler and I'm new to ant keeping. I recently caught my first queen ants! :D . The first ant is really small she is around 2 to 3 millimeters, I caught her in my back yard in Jeffersonville, Indiana it was around the 20th of May when I caught her. The next queen I caught is bigger around 5 millimeters, I caught her in a forest in Washington County on the 25th of May. But sadly she died a week later for some reason, I don't know why :(. But I would still like to identify her.
Well you'll make that a lot easier if you had some pictures for us?

AntsIndiana5

Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:40 am

I need to wait until I go home so I can get pictures of the smaller queen.
Ants are the coolest ;)

GuyMediocre

Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:14 pm

I live in Fort Wayne, Indiana and I am somewhat experienced with different species around here (that’s what i’d like to think, at least). My best guess is she is a Camponotus Pennsylvanicus queen, commonly known as a Black Carpenter Ant. I also caught a very small queen recently that has started laying eggs, and she is less than 3mm. I am too puzzled by her small size.

AntsIndiana5

Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:26 am

Yeah I was thinking she was some camponotus species like camponotus nearcitus I guessed that off of her size. But she is way to small to be a carpenter ant. We have tons of Monomorium ants were I live so maybe she could have been a queen of that genus.I honestly dont know because I'm trash at identifying ant species.
Ants are the coolest ;)

GuyMediocre

Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:08 pm

Yeah mine might actually be a Monomorium species. I haven’t really thought about that.