My first queen ant

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

GamingCreeper

My first queen ant

Wed May 27, 2020 8:12 am

I am really happy that my queen ant has laid eggs and is holding them! I caught her last week Tuesday, she was floating in our rain water reservoir. I think it’s an Tetramorium caespitum because of the yellow tips on the legs. Do you think it’s an Tetramorium caespitum queen? I don’t know how these forums work so maybe I did this all wrong.

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: My first queen ant

Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:53 pm

GamingCreeper wrote:
I am really happy that my queen ant has laid eggs and is holding them! I caught her last week Tuesday, she was floating in our rain water reservoir. I think it’s an Tetramorium caespitum because of the yellow tips on the legs. Do you think it’s an Tetramorium caespitum queen? I don’t know how these forums work so maybe I did this all wrong.Image
The image isn’t working, but congratulations! I also do find many queens floating in pools or places where water pools
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

AntsAntsAnts

Sat Feb 12, 2022 1:13 am

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
GamingCreeper wrote:
I am really happy that my queen ant has laid eggs and is holding them! I caught her last week Tuesday, she was floating in our rain water reservoir. I think it’s an Tetramorium caespitum because of the yellow tips on the legs. Do you think it’s an Tetramorium caespitum queen? I don’t know how these forums work so maybe I did this all wrong.Image
The image isn’t working, but congratulations! I also do find many queens floating in pools or places where water pools
i find them running around like a mad queen
keeping:
all my queens died :(
got a sugar ant colony started :)

SolenopsisKeeper

Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:29 pm

AntsAntsAnts wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
GamingCreeper wrote:
Same. I once saw one invicta that had trouble walking it’s gaster was so expanded. It may not have been invicta or it may have had parasites. At the time I had no containers so I let it be.

AntsAntsAnts

Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:03 am

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
AntsAntsAnts wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:

Same. I once saw one invicta that had trouble walking it’s gaster was so expanded. It may not have been invicta or it may have had parasites. At the time I had no containers so I let it be.
queens shouldn't have expanded gasters before laying eggs unless they had parasites or had an abundance of ****. I think it was fertile...
keeping:
all my queens died :(
got a sugar ant colony started :)

SolenopsisKeeper

Sun Feb 13, 2022 7:27 am

AntsAntsAnts wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:03 am
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
AntsAntsAnts wrote:

queens shouldn't have expanded gasters before laying eggs unless they had parasites or had an abundance of ****. I think it was fertile...
It was looking for a place to dig. It also could have been another spieces that looks like invicta. You can’t say “$perm” xD

AntsLuxembourg

Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:01 am

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
There was no picture.
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.