Queens: Monomorium?, Incestual Bypassing Question

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

SamuelMamuel

Queens: Monomorium?, Incestual Bypassing Question

Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:25 pm

We have a composter in our backyard, and there is a very peculiar colony who lives directly under the lid of this composter. I am trying to figure out if this colony is a little Monomorium colony. The ants there with the larger gasters I believe are the queens. There are quite a few of them, so I am not quite sure if they are in fact the queens. The ants qith the larger gasters (that I belive to be the queens) are about 5 mm long, while the workers are 2.5-3mm.

This brings me to my question about incest. I know that Black Crazy ants are capable of bypassing incestual law by performing double breeding, creating colonies of hundreds of queens, but are there any other species capable of this incredible ability? There are possibly 20 "queens" in this little colony, and I am really wondering if they were produced through incestual breeding.
Thank you for your help! Let me know if y'all need more pictures or better pictures.
Colonies:
--Tetramorium Caespitum
--Camponotus pennsylvanicus
--Formica Sp.

Antloverhuman

Re: Queens: Monomorium?, Incestual Bypassing Question

Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:16 am

I think these are lasius species (l. niger or l. neoniger)
And there are other few species whi can 'bypass incestual law' but i dont know their names. I think one of them are from genus tetramorium but i could be wrong
Ants I have-
camponotus compressus colony- the shadow warriors.
Pls just let me have a tetramorium colony