9/20/2016, Chattanooga, TN, USA

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

JayandDo

9/20/2016, Chattanooga, TN, USA

Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:23 pm

Today I caught an ant that I believe to be a queen ant. I am fairly new to having ant colonies and such so It might just be a large worker. However I would like to know if any of you all can figure out the species and if it is a queen.
Info:
She seems to have one node between her thorax and abdomen.
She has sparse small hairs all over body.
She is a redish-brown color.
She was found on a cement porch checking out the cracks and holes in it.
She was found during the evening~7:00 PM
It was around 75-80 F outside at the time.
It rain here 2 days ago.
She is around 9mm long.
She was found without wings but I think I can make out wing scars.
She doesn't look like the other worker ants that I have saw in the area. (Fire ants, Carpenter ants, Tiny black ants)
She seems very calm. She only seems to use her anntanae to feel the surrounding area.
http://imgur.com/a/dTskI

JayandDo

Re: 9/20/2016, Chattanooga, TN, USA

Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:33 pm

Durant wrote:She's a Solenopsis invicta queen!!! Red Imported Fire Ant
Hmm Thats not exactly what I wanted for my first ant colony, lol. Ill give it a try! So your sure its a queen? Do they fly around this time or is she from a moving colony?

idahoantgirl

Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:36 pm

JayandDo wrote:
Durant wrote:She's a Solenopsis invicta queen!!! Red Imported Fire Ant
Hmm Thats not exactly what I wanted for my first ant colony, lol. Ill give it a try! So your sure its a queen? Do they fly around this time or is she from a moving colony?
100 percent queen.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

Batspiderfish

Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:43 pm

That is one pretty Solenopsis invicta queen.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

JayandDo

Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:01 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:That is one pretty Solenopsis invicta queen.
Me and my girlfriend were ouside looking at ants taking pictures and preparing for next year. Then she said "what about that big one?" I looked at it and thought it was a queen because it had a small head compared to the rest of its body. So we scooped her up and put her in a pill bottle with water and cotton.

On a side note can these ants chew threw grout(with perlite)?

AntLove5Ever

Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:08 pm

JayandDo wrote:
Me and my girlfriend were ouside looking at ants taking pictures and preparing for next year. Then she said "what about that big one?" I looked at it and thought it was a queen because it had a small head compared to the rest of its body. So we scooped her up and put her in a pill bottle with water and cotton.

A few ants can (from my limited experience) but I highly doubt anything short of a middle eastern/asian ant could. This is coming from my friend in the middle east (whose house is being fumigated because of a too thin formicarium wall incident.)

JayandDo

Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:16 pm

AntLove5Ever wrote:
JayandDo wrote:

A few ants can (from my limited experience) but I highly doubt anything short of a middle eastern/asian ant could. This is coming from my friend in the middle east (whose house is being fumigated because of a too thin formicarium wall incident.)
Good. Also will these ants hibernate? If they do do you think they will have many workers before hibernation time?

JayandDo

Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:22 pm

Durant wrote:
Batspiderfish wrote:
Way ahead of you! We are preparing now. Thank you and everyone else that helped me! :D

dinoman9877

Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:17 am

Given what geminata can do, and how quickly they can grow, I'd be apprehensive about another fire ant species

I wish you the best of luck in this undertaking.

Batspiderfish

Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:35 am

Mikey's Solenopsis colony experiences tropical temperatures year-round, so a Solenopsis invicta in Tennessee will probably be somewhat manageable.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.