Need help identifying ants

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

Enigami

Need help identifying ants

Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:43 pm

I captured a queen and about 20 workers in my kitchen in Interlochen, Michigan. They're quite small, using a quarter for scale I estimated the queen to be about 4-5mm and the workers 2-3mm. Both the queen and workers are black colored. They've been roaming my kitchen for weeks now, and I ended up catching them after finding they had moved behind a cutting board on my counter leaning against the wall. They also were quite non-aggressive, even while being captured they opted to just run around my hand instead of trying to bite or sting it.

I took several pictures, unfortunately they ended up quite blurry and this photo I grabbed from before I captured her was the clearest. I don't want to open up their container and disturb the queen more than I have to, but if the photo and information I can provide isn't clear enough I will attempt to get a better photo.

So, they're small, black, non-aggressive and have no problem nesting on a kitchen counter. Any clue what they may be? Thanks in advance for any assistance!

antperson24

Re: Need help identifying ants

Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:05 am

Enigami wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:43 pm
I captured a queen and about 20 workers in my kitchen in Interlochen, Michigan. They're quite small, using a quarter for scale I estimated the queen to be about 4-5mm and the workers 2-3mm. Both the queen and workers are black colored. They've been roaming my kitchen for weeks now, and I ended up catching them after finding they had moved behind a cutting board on my counter leaning against the wall. They also were quite non-aggressive, even while being captured they opted to just run around my hand instead of trying to bite or sting it.

I took several pictures, unfortunately they ended up quite blurry and this photo I grabbed from before I captured her was the clearest. I don't want to open up their container and disturb the queen more than I have to, but if the photo and information I can provide isn't clear enough I will attempt to get a better photo.

So, they're small, black, non-aggressive and have no problem nesting on a kitchen counter. Any clue what they may be? Thanks in advance for any assistance!
There is no way to identify them without better photos.
Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?
There are so many fascinating ants right where you live!
I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that aren't in your area.

Join Ants, Plants, and Myrmecology: https://discord.gg/BeQuNf8yTN