Identification of ant species from the Cerrado of Brazil

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

DihBorba

Identification of ant species from the Cerrado of Brazil

Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:14 am

Hello everybody! I'm new here on the forum but I've been following AntsCanada for at least 3 years. In October last year, at the beginning of the rainy season here in Brazil, I collected some queens. but I was only able to identify for sure the species of one of them. I now have 4 colonies of Camponotus, one of them is a Camponotus pennsylvanicus with a huge and beautiful queen (which I named Phellipa), but the other 3, which apparently are of the same species, specially considering that I collected them just a few hours after seeing the nuptial flight, I cannot identify the species. I even have a few hints and clues about what species they belong to, but I can't really say for sure. I think they can be C. ocreatus, C. terebrans, C. americanus, C. semitestaceus or C. atriceps, but again, these are just guesses. I need an accurate identification because, first, to know about their habits and to be able to take care of them and feed them properly, and second, to find out if they are really the same species and if they are polygenic. But apparently, I can't put the photos here in the post, can someone tell me how I do it?

DihBorba

Re: Identification of ant species from the Cerrado of Brazil

Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:53 am

Well, it looks like I managed to post the photos, yeah, these are my beautiful queens that need identification! Thank you in advance for any attempt to help me! I numbered the photos and put the names of the queens to make it easier for you to know which is which.
Obrigada e um abraço do Brasil!

DihBorba

Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:33 pm

Can anyone help me? I asked for help here more than a month ago, I even put good pictures, but nothing so far ... :cry:

CabboAntsGuy

Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:24 am

I think it's some type of camponotus, just not sure which one, you can look up camponotus species from your area.
Keep:
3 camponotus pennsylvanicus
2 formica subsericea
The Camponotus Crew! https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=15267
Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

DihBorba

Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:59 am

CabboAntsGuy wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:24 am
I think it's some type of camponotus, just not sure which one, you can look up camponotus species from your area.
Thanks, man, at least someone tried to help me! I really appreciate it! At this point I’ve done some research, I’m starting to think that these lovely queens could be Camponotus atriceps, on the other hand, studying the subject raised doubts about the other colony that I have and that I thought I knew the species, now I'm not so sure anymore ... I will try to put some pictures of this colony here. If anyone knows, I thank you in advance!

DihBorba

Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:20 am

So, to start with, I was told that "for sure, without a doubt" this queen in the photos, Queen Phellipa, was a Camponotus pennsylvanicus, but after deeper research and conversations with more experienced people, the certainty disappeared and the question arose: which Camponotus is she?

Apparently it can be Camponotus pennsylvanicus, Camponotus brasiliensis or Camponotus rufipes, all of these 3 species are widely found in Brazil and in the region where I live and are very similar.

To help in the identification, here are some data about this colony and its queen: the queen measures about 2 centimeters, has a very, very dark brown color, almost black and the legs are burgundy, not shiny, it is more "matte", the workers are black and measure about 1.2 centimeters and are also not shiny, they are matte like the Queen.

Queen Phellipa can be one of these 3 species (C. pennsylvanicus, C. rufipes or C. brasiliensis) or none of them, I can't be sure, but it would help a lot to have at least a more accurate guess!

I would like to have better pictures, but for now I'm having to get by with a set of lenses for my cell phone, and the ants don't stop still either!

So, what do you guys think? Can you have any idea what species it is?

Thanks in advance for any help!

CabboAntsGuy

Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:54 am

I think the red on the legs would rule out c. pennsylvanicus. one of the other two looks closer to me.
Keep:
3 camponotus pennsylvanicus
2 formica subsericea
The Camponotus Crew! https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=15267
Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

palau4

Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:20 pm

Accidentally came to this forum. I am surprised. Why didn’t anyone write to you that the species you mentioned are not in Brazil?

C. Pennsylvanicus live USA, Canada
C. Terebrans live Australia
C. Americanus live USA, Canada

Help will be needed to identify the species. Email me. impuls4444@gmail.com