Camponotus or Formica Oroville/California/USA

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

DeathToUnknown

Camponotus or Formica Oroville/California/USA

Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:00 pm

Recently as the weather has warmed up slightly I began to notice wide flat anthills appearing on my property. Later, while searching at night, I found the ants. They have a black/dark brown head, red body, and a gaster that the latter half is black. They also have one node and have a rounded thorax. I believe they are Camponotus but I have never heard of them living in the soil before. Just in decaying wood. These ants also have minors and majors ranging from about 5 mm to about 12mm. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

P.S. These ants are only active from sunset to sunrise.

Good2Know15

Re: Camponotus or Formica Oroville/California/USA

Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:07 am

DeathToUnknown wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:00 pm
Recently as the weather has warmed up slightly I began to notice wide flat anthills appearing on my property. Later, while searching at night, I found the ants. They have a black/dark brown head, red body, and a gaster that the latter half is black. They also have one node and have a rounded thorax. I believe they are Camponotus but I have never heard of them living in the soil before. Just in decaying wood. These ants also have minors and majors ranging from about 5 mm to about 12mm. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

P.S. These ants are only active from sunset to sunrise.

Hi there,
The links to the pictures are unfortunately not working for me, altough I can try to guess the species you have described. There are some Camponotus species that prefer living in soil instead of wood, but others can nest in the ground too if they want to. My first guess at the colors you have described would match with Camponotus herculeanus or C. chromaiodes, altough I can't say that I'm 100% sure. Anyway, hopefully you can post other photos that work. Good luck!
Also known as Ants_Netherlands18 on Instagram

Keeper of:
I have kept 48 species of 18 different genera of ants over the course of 3.5 years of antkeeping :)

For species ID, feel free to message me privately!