Need help with this ant found in São Paulo/Brazil

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

wllzsec

Need help with this ant found in São Paulo/Brazil

Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:14 pm

Hello,

I come here again to ask for your help. Today(15/Nov/2019) I've visited a frient that live in a place with less concrete, so to speak... it was a rainy day, but I know that two days ago there was a nuptial flight for several ants species around... so I went hunting under rocks for shallow founding nests and possibly queens, I was aiming to find a pheidole queen, but I guess I'm supposed to wait until the smolthering summer which is around january/february... but I managed to find several queen ants, early colonies of Atta spp. and some other ants I can't name(didn't took photos though) and even termite early colonies. I couldn't take them because there was too much brood or too deep and I felt it was kinda wrong doing that kinda of stuff, because those are colonies that were started by queens that flew in late september this year and it felt kinda of wrong/risky... Anyways, I had to content myself with the queen ant from the photo in the link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1fNZ5V6EeTPuEIvQMs_Fk1VoVP9YzGcAM I found several, this one has a dent on her, so, I got another since there was a lot of these ants, under rocks and stuff. When I found these queens they did'nt had any brood and some were still digging tunnels, so I think these also flew early this week. I suspect it could be Camponotus consobrinus, but still not sure, keep in mind I found this in Gruarulhos city, São Paulo/Brazil. her lengh is 13mm - 15mm (max, she was not cooperating). sorry for the long story, I wanna throw in some context and got carried away. But, I need help identifying this queen, should the pictures not be suficient, just tell me and I will try to get some better ones.

Thanks in advance.

LasiusSapien

Re: Need help with this ant found in São Paulo/Brazil

Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:38 am

wllzsec wrote:
Hello,

I come here again to ask for your help. Today(15/Nov/2019) I've visited a frient that live in a place with less concrete, so to speak... it was a rainy day, but I know that two days ago there was a nuptial flight for several ants species around... so I went hunting under rocks for shallow founding nests and possibly queens, I was aiming to find a pheidole queen, but I guess I'm supposed to wait until the smolthering summer which is around january/february... but I managed to find several queen ants, early colonies of Atta spp. and some other ants I can't name(didn't took photos though) and even termite early colonies. I couldn't take them because there was too much brood or too deep and I felt it was kinda wrong doing that kinda of stuff, because those are colonies that were started by queens that flew in late september this year and it felt kinda of wrong/risky... Anyways, I had to content myself with the queen ant from the photo in the link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1fNZ5V6EeTPuEIvQMs_Fk1VoVP9YzGcAM I found several, this one has a dent on her, so, I got another since there was a lot of these ants, under rocks and stuff. When I found these queens they did'nt had any brood and some were still digging tunnels, so I think these also flew early this week. I suspect it could be Camponotus consobrinus, but still not sure, keep in mind I found this in Gruarulhos city, São Paulo/Brazil. her lengh is 13mm - 15mm (max, she was not cooperating). sorry for the long story, I wanna throw in some context and got carried away. But, I need help identifying this queen, should the pictures not be suficient, just tell me and I will try to get some better ones.

Thanks in advance.
hello friend, definitely a camponotus queen possibly Camponotus cf. iheringi?
1x Lasius Niger - early forging stage - 60-100 workers
1x Messor Barbarus - founding stage - <20 workers
1x Camponotus Turkestanus - claustral stage - 1 nanitic + brood
1x Odontoponera Transversa - semi-claustral stage - no eggs

wllzsec

Re: Need help with this ant found in São Paulo/Brazil

Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:15 am

LasiusSapien wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:38 am
wllzsec wrote:
Hello,

Thanks in advance.
hello friend, definitely a camponotus queen possibly Camponotus cf. iheringi?
Thanks for the reply, now I know what I'm working with.