Found ant in delaware October 15

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

nmullen100

Found ant in delaware October 15

Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:54 pm

I found a queen I think is a solenopis species because of the hair features and its thorax and jaw structure seems like a common ant. I live in delaware and found it in my bathroom. Please help me identify it. I'm incredibly new and have never had an ant farm. I want to do my best. She seemed tired and very thirsty because i put her in a bottle and corked it with wet cotton rounds and put in tiny holes for breathing and she sat there drinking t6h water for a full minute.

ArizonanAnts

Re: Found ant in delaware October 15

Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:55 pm

Hello. Nice to hear that someone has caught a queen this time a year. Try going online and buy some test tubes. If not go to AntsCanada.com to get some tubes. Once you get them you should fill it halfway with water and then plug it with some cotton put your queen in and plug the other side with cotton. Hopefully, she is fertile and will start laying eggs. Once she does, if she does, make sure you don't check on her every day. Try once a week or every two weeks. After she has had all of her nanitics (first generation of ants) then you can start feeding them a drop of honey or something sugary to power them up, make sure it isn't too big because that might cause something to drown. If you see that the ants don't drink or eat it in a week make sure to clean it up quick before mold breaks out. Now with her nanitics you could check on them every 2 or 3 days. Like I said before it's really nice to see someone having a newly caught queen this time a year. Hopefully, my advice works! ;)

-ArizonanAnts
Keeper of
1 Forelius Pruinosus
Queen Name: Azucar Forelia
Founding Stage - 3 Workers, 0 Pupae, 1 Larvae, 0 Eggs.

They are not doing well at all.

Join The Camponotus Crew
Join the Forelius Clan

nmullen100

Re: Found ant in delaware October 15

Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:56 am

Thank you so much. I will try to get a test tube to transport her into. I believe she is mated because when I caught her she refuses to fly and one of her wings is browning and looks like it's about to separate soon. This is amazing to hear and I hope to get a picture of her soon that is good enough to post so it can be identified. As I said I think its solenopis species just dont know the subgroup it is from. It's not a large queen but has a nice round gaster and large head and average sized jaws so its definitely not a male. :)