Big ant in Guarulhos City SP/Brazil

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

wllzsec

Big ant in Guarulhos City SP/Brazil

Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:24 pm

Hello there! I'm new to the forum, just joined. I need help with ID this ant. it's big(about 20mm in lengh), black. I don't know it it's a queen I just found yesterday[21 sep. 2019] in the yeard at home[Guarulhos city in São Paulo/Brazil] roaming alone, I've seen these ants before and they are always alone. it was alate at tome point, it had it's wing scars. I noticed a stinger what was out when I handled it with tweezers. and since yesterday it produced to white things, look like egs, but it's rodlike. a bit hard to see. I took some photos that can be seen in my google drive. link at the end. Any help with ID what species it is and what it really is, is it a queen? I mean it's big, but I think it's abdomen is small copared with queens. and any tips with care would be very much appreciated
https://drive.google.com/open?id=****-_d0jnUoLKE6lbMwcXUQFIV8g

LasiusSapien

Re: Big ant in Guarulhos City SP/Brazil

Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:20 am

she is a beauty that looks like a queen of Pachycondyla purpurascens thought could be wrong i'm new to i'd-ing old world ants but i am a keeper of odontoponera transversa which look very similar
1x Lasius Niger - early forging stage - 60-100 workers
1x Messor Barbarus - founding stage - <20 workers
1x Camponotus Turkestanus - claustral stage - 1 nanitic + brood
1x Odontoponera Transversa - semi-claustral stage - no eggs

wllzsec

Re: Big ant in Guarulhos City SP/Brazil

Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:45 pm

Sorry for the way too late reply, LasiusSapien, I checked out some sources after I've read your answer(on the same day you posted), and turns out it was Diacamma spp. too bad she didn't made it because whe wasn't fertilized... she was no queen for Diacamma spp. are all workers, I found a colony of those today after flipping some rocks but I opted for letting them go since it's a bit to hard to get them to start a colony. but thanks for the reply. I appreciated your reply.