2 Queens indentifications also some help.

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

Duculescu

2 Queens indentifications also some help.

Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:14 am

I have 2 queen ants one that does really good hungry all the time. Those are the small dwarf ones... but the medium size are... not that active... and lately they dont even have brood... Both species from EUNE Romania, about 2-3 months ago.

1 Small ones , workers around 2mm

2. Medium ones. 0.6 cm

First what species are those...
Second What should i do the Medium size are getting innactive... just sitting most of the time, i had them into tiny outworld with the test tube in it, they had brood was active now... its nothing im really worried.
Third How should i deal with their hibernation?

Duculescu

Re: 2 Queens indentifications also some help.

Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:52 am

Its been... 6 days and no response...

Duculescu

Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:05 pm

Bump

FrederickAnt

Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:55 am

Hi there
Sorry for late reply, but I believe the first queen is Pheidole spp. and the other is Formica or some other species, for hibernation just remember to keep it above 10ºC.
Before hibernating, just remember to feed them regularly. But if they stopped eating and the queen has stopped laying eggs I believe they are starting to hibernate. I am not too sure but hope this helps, just search hibernation tutorial for ants.
Former ant enthusiast
Dream catch: Pheidole Pieli, Acropyga species, Acanthomyrmex species.
current species: n/a
:mrgreen:
Novice
HK antkeeper
Living at the mouth of the Shing Mun River

Duculescu

Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:19 pm

FrederickAnt wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:55 am
Hi there
Sorry for late reply, but I believe the first queen is Pheidole spp. and the other is Formica or some other species, for hibernation just remember to keep it above 10ºC.
Before hibernating, just remember to feed them regularly. But if they stopped eating and the queen has stopped laying eggs I believe they are starting to hibernate. I am not too sure but hope this helps, just search hibernation tutorial for ants.
Thank you for the replay, yea they stopped eating and laying eggs, i looked over youtube and some species... hybernate 6 months... so this might be the case with them, too.
The first queen still grows her colony really fast and still active. But i dont think is Pheidole SPP because Romania has only 2 Pheidole species... Pheidole pallidula and megacephala.
PS: Got a new Queen ant in the mountains yesterday.