Orange striped abdomen in West Australia - Any one know what this species this is?

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

Richraj

Orange striped abdomen in West Australia - Any one know what this species this is?

Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:32 am

Hi.

Came across an unusual large (5mm) black ant with prominent vibrant orange stripe on its abdomen today on my patio. Photo attached.
Can anyone help in identifying it, as it doesn't match any of the common species.

I'm in South Western Australia, just outside of Perth.

I've recently moved (from UK) to a house in 2 hectares of bushland, and the sheer number of species in my lot is staggering. Bull ants (at least 4 nests) , Ghost ants, Melophorus, Iridomymex, Polyrhachis, all sorts of Camponotus. Feels like I'm coming across new species everyday!

Thanks in advance for helping!

Rich

Martialis

Re: Orange striped abdomen in West Australia - Any one know what this species this is?

Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:01 pm

Pictures are always necessary.
Keeper of

Selliing:

Richraj

Re: Orange striped abdomen in West Australia - Any one know what this species this is?

Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:33 pm

Apologises, I thought I'd posted photo. It's a pretty rubbish photo with my phone, but the species is very distinct with the orange stripe/white tail.

Richraj

Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:38 pm

Can't seem to post pics.... ;(

eliteANTSx

Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:59 pm

Hey im from WA too and I think I may be able to help. To post a picture, go to imgur.com and make an account. upload a picture and copy the link. paste the image link in between the 2 brackets: Image