I saved a queen...

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

GANJAxBANDiT

I saved a queen...

Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:14 am

So today at work, I was on my smoke break and noticed something in the corner of my eye. It was an ant. One with wings. Given I've been part of ACFam for a while my first reaction was to get her out of the water to dry her wings. I wasn't sure if my area had queens at the time but once I pulled her out she seemed to be distressed. So naturally I put her in a small cup with some sugar water. She immediately went right to it. After some research she is definitely a young queen, just unsure of what species. She seems to be doing well but I dont want her to die. I just need to know what species she is so I can get her the proper habitat to lay brood and start a colony. She just shed her wings in the last couple hours and appears to be preparing to brood. PLEASE HELP. I want to give this queen the good life.

Camponotus

Re: I saved a queen...

Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:51 am

Go to imgur and upload pictures and place link here

Hawkeye

Re: I saved a queen...

Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:37 pm

GANJAxBANDiT wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:14 am
So today at work, I was on my smoke break and noticed something in the corner of my eye. It was an ant. One with wings. Given I've been part of ACFam for a while my first reaction was to get her out of the water to dry her wings. I wasn't sure if my area had queens at the time but once I pulled her out she seemed to be distressed. So naturally I put her in a small cup with some sugar water. She immediately went right to it. After some research she is definitely a young queen, just unsure of what species. She seems to be doing well but I dont want her to die. I just need to know what species she is so I can get her the proper habitat to lay brood and start a colony. She just shed her wings in the last couple hours and appears to be preparing to brood. PLEASE HELP. I want to give this queen the good life.
Happy to help, but we will need some more information to go on:

- Where (geographically) did you find her?
- How long is she? (preferably in mm or cm)
- Does she have any specific features?

Could you also get an imgur.com account and use that to upload some pictures with your post? It is free, easy to use, and doesn't overlay any silly watermarks. When you are typing your next message, click the picture button (sun over the mountain) and 2 tags will appear. Place the direct link in between the two [ img] tags and the picture will then be included in your post. (The option to upload pics to the AC Forum server has been disabled, as the server would otherwise be flooded by all the users uploading photos.