Help a newby out

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

musicman1701

Help a newby out

Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:32 am

Based in top end of northern england had a good 2 days I think
First off ants 1 and 2 are both just over 5mm I'm thinking myrmica but rubica or ruginodis ?
Ants 3 and 4 are both just over 10mm so from what I'm told I beleave both are formica fusca.
However possible lasius Niger considering they both flying this time of year and I'm new.
Species https://imgur.com/gallery/XY5C9OD

And lastly if they are infact both rubica or both ruginodis and both formica they are all polyamorous any tips for introducing them to eachother.
(Obviously I meen the myrmica with myrmica and formica with formica)

sartwell90

Re: Help a newby out

Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:32 am

I think you are right on with the Formica fusca ID based on the photos, look too large and their gaster looks shinier than I am used to seeing in L. niger pictures.

The first two I am having a bit more trouble with as they don't seem to have pronounced propodeal spines (spikes towards the rear of the thorax on many ants with a pronounced post-petiole, etc.). I don't live in the UK so it might be an easier ID for someone else, but regardless I'm combing through the descriptions of all the species normally found over there. I know Monomorium spp have similar morphology and size.
Check out my colonies! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDze5idJomnpRCpvd3QoAFA
Or, if you would rather read about them check here - https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?p=60680#p60680

musicman1701

Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:16 pm

U may be right from what I can see the small reddish brown ants do not seem to have they spines (though the still winged one is hard to tell) they have me baffled.
I will say near by I did find an established nest of what looked to be the same ants little smaller specialy in thorax in root system of grass taking over pathway if it helps anyone at all.

Good2Know15

Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:15 pm

Hello there, the first two ants are Myrmica sp. queens - I don't know what species. I've also caught a Myrmica queen, possibly Rubra, but it doesn't really matter as most of the Myrmica species behave the same. I wouldn't worry too much about their ID until the first workers hatch and it would be easier to identify them then.

The 3rd and 4th queen could be either Formica sp to me. It's pretty diffcult to identify with these pics. Pictures taken from above would be great ;) :?:

Thank you and good luck!
Also known as Ants_Netherlands18 on Instagram

Keeper of:
I have kept 48 species of 18 different genera of ants over the course of 3.5 years of antkeeping :)

For species ID, feel free to message me privately!

Good2Know15

Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:20 pm

You can introduce queens to each other just by putting them together in the same test tube setup (leave a bit more space for them to nest, because more workers will be born and it would be easier to feed them later on). Do it only if you are 100% sure that they are in fact polygynous. If you put two or more monogynous queens, then they will either fight and eliminate the weakest before laying eggs or right after the first workers hatch. It's a 50-50% chance of them fighting or randomly dying :?

Ask other ant keepers for help to identify polygynous queens. Good luck ;) !
Also known as Ants_Netherlands18 on Instagram

Keeper of:
I have kept 48 species of 18 different genera of ants over the course of 3.5 years of antkeeping :)

For species ID, feel free to message me privately!