Caught this ant July 4th in Billings Montana need help identifying.

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

Tbombdabomb

Caught this ant July 4th in Billings Montana need help identifying.

Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:35 pm

Need help identifying this ant I caught on July 4th. it's much smaller than the camponotus I caught earlier this year and I'm starting to think it might be semi claustral. I will include a picture of my camponotus just to show you how much larger she is.
Last edited by Tbombdabomb on Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tbombdabomb

Re: Caught this ant July 4th in Billings Montana need help identifying.

Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:38 pm

well I tried to add pictures it had a place where it said I could attach a file and I went to my gallery and attached the file but it won't show up on here I'm afraid your websites too confusing. I keep lowering the image quality cuz it said the file size was too large and now it just says the attachment quota has been met it won't let me add pictures you guys are the websites kind of disappointed it shouldn't be this hard to add a picture so someone can see what I'm talking about. and I watch the video about how to post stuff on here that would be helpful if I was on a PC and not a smartphone.

Tbombdabomb

Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:57 pm

http://imgur.com/65HQS0M
http://imgur.com/Vco5WXc
http://imgur.com/xsXr0X0

These are the images of 2 of my ants. I need to identify the smaller one as I suspect it to be semi claustral. Sorry, I am behind the technology wave and apparently was a little grumpy this morning.

Tbombdabomb

Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:49 pm

Well, she was clinging to the cotton ball when I checked on her this morning. I felt like I needed to feed her. I pulled the cotton ball out prepared for an escape attempt. But, she stayed right where she was about 3/4 of an inch from my finger. So I gave her a tiny drop of honey in her test tube and put her and the cotton ball back. She climbed off the cotton ball checked on what I believe are her eggs (she's so small I can't tell if they're eggs. I think they are) and then appeared to be checking out the drop of honey. So, sensing all was well I put her back in her dark spot. My research leads me to believe she may be a seed harvester type ant. I'm still hoping to get some input from the community.

Hawkeye

Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:38 am

Tbombdabomb wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:49 pm
Well, she was clinging to the cotton ball when I checked on her this morning. I felt like I needed to feed her. I pulled the cotton ball out prepared for an escape attempt. But, she stayed right where she was about 3/4 of an inch from my finger. So I gave her a tiny drop of honey in her test tube and put her and the cotton ball back. She climbed off the cotton ball checked on what I believe are her eggs (she's so small I can't tell if they're eggs. I think they are) and then appeared to be checking out the drop of honey. So, sensing all was well I put her back in her dark spot. My research leads me to believe she may be a seed harvester type ant. I'm still hoping to get some input from the community.
You can always 'attach' pictures using the direct link from your imgur account, using the image button. [ img ] link [/img ] it should look like that in your text, well without the spaces.