Can you help identify this ant? Illinois USA

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

ionkog

Can you help identify this ant? Illinois USA

Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:34 pm

Let me start with a little background story. There are 2 colonies of ants outside my office in Chicago IL suburbs and I often watch them during cigarette breaks. I got jar of honey and was giving them a little here and there as appreciation.

As best as I can tell, one of them is black carpenter ant living in a big dead tree and the other is a a common pavement/house ant with their home a few feet from the base of the tree on the ground.

Besides the slight size difference they both look the same to my untrained eyes. I don't have much experience past watching some Youtube videos for entertainment and the last few hours of internet research.

I was never looking to start a colony because the task of looking for a queen seemed like a time investment I couldn't make, but this morning I had what looks like a queen literally crawl under my foot.
Now, I am not even sure it's a queen, but it's very much bigger than any other ant I have seen.

I am going to bring her home and follow some of the tips I have seen about raising a queen, but I was hoping someone can help me figure out exactly what species she is so I can find the right relevant information.

Thank you very much for taking the time to read my post.

Queen zoomed in best I can.
https://prnt.sc/o7n81h

Zoomed out for size reference
https://prnt.sc/o7n9j4

TopTierTetra

Re: Can you help identify this ant? Illinois USA

Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:44 pm

Looks like camponotus pennsylvanicus to me. Nice catch!
[Doriyah 4 life]
Keeper of:
×1 Formica Sp. ?
×2 Tapinoma Sessile
×6 Camponotus Pennsylvanicus
×1 Monomorium pharaonis
×6 Tetramorium Immigrans
Wishlist:
-Pheidole