queen identification, found in europe, 6/2/19

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

ruairiui

queen identification, found in europe, 6/2/19

Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:11 am

hey all,

pics first:

hope they'll do, i know they're not great - but can't seem to get them any better with my current equipment.

okay so: i found this in grass in an open area around some houses. as mentioned in the title - in western europe, austria.
it's 7mm in length. i find it relatively small for a queen, but i've seen it break off its wings, so it is a queen.
except for the outer most part of its legs, it's completely black. legs are brown/reddish.
it's shiny and doesn't seem to have any hair.
between the thorax and the gastor there's a thorn of sorts. can't seem to get the angle right, it's always occluded by a leg.

thanks in advance for any help!

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: queen identification, found in europe, 6/2/19

Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:15 pm

ruairiui wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:11 am
hey all,

pics first:

hope they'll do, i know they're not great - but can't seem to get them any better with my current equipment.

okay so: i found this in grass in an open area around some houses. as mentioned in the title - in western europe, austria.
it's 7mm in length. i find it relatively small for a queen, but i've seen it break off its wings, so it is a queen.
except for the outer most part of its legs, it's completely black. legs are brown/reddish.
it's shiny and doesn't seem to have any hair.
between the thorax and the gastor there's a thorn of sorts. can't seem to get the angle right, it's always occluded by a leg.

thanks in advance for any help!
Definitely a parasitic species, but not too sure on the genus. Reminds me of Camponotus of some sort.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…